• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H1 wheels on full width D60

Snafu

Loc.
Guntersville, AL
Ok guys, how are you doing it?

I'm building my full width D60's front and rear and want to run H1 wheels with original backspacing to keep the track as narrow as possible. Not wanting to go through the hassle of narrowing the axle tubes.

Also planning on running full hydro steering and disc brakes front and rear, so what are you guys using for high steer arms and calipers?

Thanks in advance!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
a spacer is usually needed for brake caliper clearance. the hub sticks out past the wheel 3" if I remember correctly making a really nice anchor hanging out there.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you run drive flanges up front instead of hubs, you can reduce the anchor effect noted above, but not eliminate it entirely. My friend runs a HP D60/14-bolt combo under his '78 Bronco with H1 double beadlocks, and tried running them with the factory BS for a season but hated it and ended up recentering his H1's. He had two problems with it, one being the hubs (which were almost immediately replaced with slugs), and the other being his tires rubbing the frame well before full lock. Granted, his frame is wider than an EB's, but something to consider depending on the tire size. He's run the 38.5X11R16.5 Boggers and 42x15R16.5 TSL SXII, and the added width of the TSL SXII's made it a pig to drive and were the final nail in the coffin in him deciding to recenter them.

OP
OP
Snafu

Snafu

Loc.
Guntersville, AL
Thanks for the advice, I can see how the hubs would be a real issue.

Now to decide if I recenter the H1's or buy 17" wheels, cuz the tire selection for 16.5's suck!

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Snafu;3214508 Now to decide if I recenter the H1's or buy 17" wheels said:
This, even factory H1 wheels suck when compared to a modern wheel.
If you're wanting to stay narrow, just get a 17' wheel with 5.5 inch back spacing.
Most guys I knew who ran H1's with Dana 60's normally used a wheel spacer to gain some width.