• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full width with H1 wheels

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
Has anyone done a full width swap 14 bolt rear with a Dana 60 up front. I'm thinking about this swap and using the non centered H1 wheels and tires. But I has a few questions about the high steer arm interference with the rim and maybe some other pitfalls I should be considering. I'm caught between just upgrading my puny Dana 30 with a well built 44 with Molly's or cv axles, or just going all out with he Dana 60. Advice and suggestions would really help. I am a mild wheeler on the Rubicon and I want a solid setup that will not see a bigger tire than 37's. Thanks for your advice.
Joey

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Jamey and I both run 60 and 14 bolt combo's. He's running the recentered wheels with 3 1/2" backspacing and I'm running a 17" wheel with 5" bs. With the 5" on mine I could still go in another inch or so, more than that the steering would interfere. I know guys are doing it, I just don't like the look of a non-recentered H1 wheel. Might check over at Pirate....they will have the answers if no one speaks up on here.

akirshbom

I ran exactly that set up for years and loved it. The only this you need to to clear the 60 brake is run 1" spacer up. Otherwise super easy and convenient. Rig still fits between standard car hauler fenders. Lots of pics in the picture trail link on my sig.

The biggest issue you'll have is finding a tire you like in 37 x 16.5. Unless you plan to run the military MTs, and those are hard!
I run the 38 SX and love them.
Last year I finally went the Recentered route and love the overall width, but there were also some negatives. Not as nimble in turns, and had to build over the fender ramps for trailer, but on the plus side WAY more stable in side hill situations

OP
OP

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
That's what I like to hear. Is a Dana 60 in its stock form stronger than a Dana 44 with cv axles? That's where I'm kind of lost. Should I build a 44 or buy a 60 and then a 14 bolt and call it good? If I go fill width I could allocate around $2500 for the job with the sale of my already built 9". I have about $1800 if I just build up the 44. Any thoughts?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Think about what you said...Stock 60 = Built D44. You can put in a stock D60 and be close to the same strenght as a built D44. Then wheel the piss out of it for 3 years and finally break it, meanwhile save up some more cash and buy some good shafts for your 60. RCV's in a D60 is almost, almost unbreakable. I have seen built D44 break a bunch, only for the owner to take yet another loss and make the step to a 60.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of guys that don't need a 60 and never break their 44. You have to make the call on how hard you wheel.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
dont you also have to consider your hubs sticking out on a non-recentered H1 wheel?

Now the Yukon hardcore locking hubs are out and they are much slimmer and stronger than the Warns but I think they may still stick out on a non-recentered H1.

seems like another couple inches (as in the case of an H1 wheel) and even the Yukons might be sticking out past the wheel/tire:

WP000900-L.jpg

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
oh and if you're only going to run 37s on 1-ton axles, you're going to have 2 giant boat anchors holding you back. Especially if you run a 14-bolt unshaved. Sterling 10.25 doesn't hang much lower than a 9" and its FORD.

OP
OP

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
true. Im thinking of going with a BB 9" and HP Dana 44 with chromos or the dang CV joint axles. I don't have a hard foot on the trails so Im leaning more towards the BB full width swap rather than the 60/14 bolt. No boat anchors for me. I like the full width option since I almost rolled my 68 on Broncos on the COn. If anyone has rolled or almost rolled on a rock that full width vehicles had no problems with, I think they would want full width as well. Almost shit my pants.:eek:

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
I ran exactly that set up for years and loved it. The only this you need to to clear the 60 brake is run 1" spacer up. Otherwise super easy and convenient. Rig still fits between standard car hauler fenders. Lots of pics in the picture trail link on my sig.

The biggest issue you'll have is finding a tire you like in 37 x 16.5. Unless you plan to run the military MTs, and those are hard!
I run the 38 SX and love them.
Last year I finally went the Recentered route and love the overall width, but there were also some negatives. Not as nimble in turns, and had to build over the fender ramps for trailer, but on the plus side WAY more stable in side hill situations

Here is Alan's old pics

Attachments

• R1-01009-006A.jpg
    R1-01009-006A.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 55