• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinding vs. Torching

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
What do yall think? Looking at these welds on the C's and wedges should I try and blow as much of the welds out with the torch or will it damage the tube. I would still have to grind when done but might save a bunch of time. Also welding the tube to cast pieces, any suggestion or just get the cast HOT before welding.

Casey835

Just grind them doesn’t take that long and less likely to mess up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What all you planning to do Tony? Why remove the wedges?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What parts are you taking off and putting back on?

Normally all anyone needs to do is cut the welds on the outer C's, rotate, weld back in. An angle grinder with a thin wheel is great.

You take about taking the wedges off, and wanting to save the tube. This is sounding like a sketchy plan with a lot of work and probably a negative reward in the end.

jagbucket

scarfing or air gouging is best but you need practice to do it without damage to your parts plasma machines can air gouge but is not as clean, with my plasma anyway a larger machine will likely work better . If you're not sure stick with the grinder not a torch to much heat

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
Grinder it will be.
Paul, I picked up a full width D44 and will attempt to shorten it to the original bronco width. From what information I have so far you have to remove the wedges (which are welded on this axle, 77 F150) and remove the C's then trim tube, replace wedges and rotate and re-weld the C's. I would love to own a plasma cutter but all my spare money goes into this dang truck. Really Id rather have my Bronco than a plasma cutter.

On another note has anyone ever used full width axles on the front and back?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably 50 (or more) people here using full-width, for every person that shortens one.
Been done many times.

I'm assuming the extra grinding of the wedge removal is because pulling the tubes out of the housing/center section is not an easy task? Take some interesting tools and jigs I suppose, but I'm not sure.

If it's not easy though, then you're heading down the right path.
The only thing I would add though, is that you will also have to grind down the outer end of the tubes in the new position, to re-fit the steering yokes. If I'm not mistaken, the tube end is smaller where the "C" is pressed over it.

I'm sure others know more about that than I do, so will add what they know about fitting the yokes.

Paul

bax

Old Member
grinding, grinding, grinding. I told you 3 freekin times.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
It all depends how good the torch operator is.
I once watched a millwright burn out a broken off 1" bolt in a blind hole on a turbine diaphragm with an oxy/acetylene torch. He never gouged the threads. I was impressed!