• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinding going into reverse

honeycoon_

Hey guys, I did some research on this and found a post on this forum from a while back but the answer didn't make much sense to me. I've been driving the Bronco around after swapping the 3 on the tree back in, and yesterday after I had driven around for a while I noticed that almost every time I tried to shift into reverse I would get a grinding noise. This didn't seem to happen with the other gears, but it only started happening after I had driven for a while.

The previous post said to adjust the clutch push rod, but this didn't make much sense to me: why would it only grind in reverse but not the other gears?

Could it be that the shift rods need adjustment, and that they aren't the proper length? We didn't adjust these when we put them on, we just used whatever length they were previously (we had swapped the manual out for a C4 but recently swapped back, we still had the shift rods and the other parts).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Reverse is not synchronized like the other gears so unless at a complete stop and trans not moving it will grind. The grinding is the fact "things" in the transmission are still turning......

I grind reverse all the time in my Samurai. I'm quick on the gears and it's very picky about reverse. Things tend to stay spinning longer than any other man-trans I've ever had.

Tim

OP
OP
honeycoon_

honeycoon_

Reverse is not synchronized like the other gears so unless at a complete stop and trans not moving it will grind. The grinding is the fact "things" in the transmission are still turning......

I grind reverse all the time in my Samurai. I'm quick on the gears and it's very picky about reverse. Things tend to stay spinning longer than any other man-trans I've ever had.

Tim

I didn't know this, thanks for the quick answer!

Samurais are really cool. I learned to drive on one, wish my grandpa had never sold it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yep, clutch drag. Non-syncro reverse.
If idling in neutral first and going for reverse, drop into first gear before going to reverse. That will use the 1st gear syncro to bring the clutch disk to a stop before going into reverse. If it is still crunchy, the clutch probably isn't releasing fully.

OP
OP
honeycoon_

honeycoon_

Yep, clutch drag. Non-syncro reverse.
If idling in neutral first and going for reverse, drop into first gear before going to reverse. That will use the 1st gear syncro to bring the clutch disk to a stop before going into reverse. If it is still crunchy, the clutch probably isn't releasing fully.

I'll try this! We've got a brand new clutch so it probably needs some adjustment. Thanks for the help!

Tonyduc

Could it be that the shift rods need adjustment, and that they aren't the proper length?
Yes. I had the same problem, in addition shifting from 1 - 2 was difficult. Getting new rubber bushings at both ends of the shift rods (shift column and transmission) and proper adjustment solved the problem.
The shift rod adjustment procedure is found on this forum and it worked great - I can't find the link but just search "shift rods adjustment".