• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinding Noise in Bell Housing area.

Workhorse69

Loc.
Springfield, VA
I have a hydraulic throw-out/ZF-5 mated to my 302 with a Centerforce Clutch installed.

I just picked up a new noise that I can’t identify the precise location/source of. The noise is a rhythmic grinding noise that varies in frequency and pitch. It also is there regardless of clutch engagement or gear or speed. Anyone have experience with this same problem?

I have opened up the engine plate a bit and shined a light to see if something stood out but I’m not seeing anything obvious.

http://vimeo.com/501954052?ref=em-share

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sounds terrible...did you check that the springs in the friction disc clear the heads of the flywheel bolts? I had that issue on an engine I built and had to machine down the heads slightly to clear the larger spring diameter found on the CenterForce disc.

OP
OP
W

Workhorse69

Loc.
Springfield, VA
I did check the starter bolts and they were good to go. I did order new ARP bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate as I’m assuming I going to tearing this all apart. It was assembled with the original hardware and the bolts backing out was all I could guess.

I have around 200 miles on it after I first assembled and there was no issues then this kicked off, luckily it was only a mile from the house.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My nv3550 makes a grinding noise that goes away when you press on the clutch. It is s common problem with those transmission bearings. Possible a trans bearing? I thought it was a throw out bearing but I just replaced it so I knew that wasn't the case. Good luck

SP73

the bolts backing out was all I could guess.

I have around 200 miles on it after I first assembled and there was no issues then this kicked off, luckily it was only a mile from the house.

I had this happen once, but about 40 miles from home! It started off sounding just like yours, but got much worse (louder).

c0astie31

I had a similar noise on mine at one point, it was the plate that goes between the engine and the bell housing, and it rubbed against the flywheel

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Remember, ZF's are truck trannys and Chatter alot naturally