• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinding going into 2nd gear

broncoeddie1970

Loc.
San Antonio
I have a stock 3 speed. Saturday since the weather was nice I was driving it around my area doing some errands. Later in the day i drove it to church and notice while shifting into 2nd gear it grinds and makes a loud noise. Going into 3 seems ok. Going down from 3rd to 2nd while approaching a stop sign is ok and so far from 2nd to 1st is ok. Going into reverse is ok as well. Leaving church and going home i just keep it in 2nd and 3rd, even when i was at a stop sign/traffic light, i never went from 1st to 2nd, just 2nd to 3rd.

Does this mean the clutch is going out or is the transmission going out? It’s behind a 200 in-line motor.

I might have some leads on a re-built tranny but right now just wanted to post this out there and see if others had this before.

Thanks
Eddie

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Synchronizing gear is going out. It would be replaced with all the other sychros during a rebuild. Rebuilt kits come with them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When was the last time you changed the gear lube in it?
A loaded question perhaps, since many of them still have never had their first oil change!

But before a rebuild happens, I always try new (and perhaps even different) gear lube in the transmission. Sure, it costs money and is no guarantee, and is a bit of a hassle. But certainly less hassle and cost than pulling and rebuilding the trans!
So I consider an initial oil change to be cheap insurance.

A good 75w/90 would be a good choice.
Now, if you have already done that and it's still grinding, then it's certainly sounding like it's time to start double-clutching it into second.;)

Paul

OP
OP
broncoeddie1970

broncoeddie1970

Loc.
San Antonio
i dump the gear lube about a year ago and put fresh lube in it. Have to go back and see what i used. I think i have a RAN transmission but will check the ids this weekend.

Can you switch it with a RAT tranny behind a 200 motor ? or does RAN need to be replaced with a RAN and a RAT with a RAT ??

I know someone said before you cant take out a tranny behind a V8 and put behind a In-line 6 motor correct??? but can you take a v8 3 speed tranny and put it behind a In-line 6 motor?

I also need to do some search on here for the answers but been swapped here at work.. So if anyone can help me understand the RAN/RAT stuff, it would help out ..

Thanks
Eddie

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Synchronizing gear is going out. It would be replaced with all the other sychros during a rebuild. Rebuilt kits come with them.

Yep. The synchro rings have a finite life, albeit a very long one typically. But at the end of the day, they are still just a friction clutch and will eventually wear out.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
We were grinding a little going into 2nd gear ; I adjusted the linkage and replaced some bushings in the shift linkage to tighten things up - no more grinding. This was on a floorshift conversion for the stock 3 spd but still might be something to try if you have 3 on the tree.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
i dump the gear lube about a year ago and put fresh lube in it. Have to go back and see what i used. I think i have a RAN transmission but will check the ids this weekend.

Can you switch it with a RAT tranny behind a 200 motor ? or does RAN need to be replaced with a RAN and a RAT with a RAT ??

I know someone said before you cant take out a tranny behind a V8 and put behind a In-line 6 motor correct??? but can you take a v8 3 speed tranny and put it behind a In-line 6 motor?

I also need to do some search on here for the answers but been swapped here at work.. So if anyone can help me understand the RAN/RAT stuff, it would help out ..

Thanks
Eddie

V8 tranny has to be replaced with a V8 tranny. Inline six needs to be replaced with an inline six tranny. The output shafts and corresponding adapters are different lengths in order to get everything to line up.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I'll agree with PAUL on swapping the fluid. I had Mystic 90 or 85/90 in mine . It worked great . I had the guys at work put a clutch in it . & They changed my fluid to pennzoil & My trans was very noisy . They like to never told me they removed my Mystic . But I had more & We swapped it back & my trans was good to go again.
Also on those little 3 speeds I'd just ask if someone has one they've pulled out .A lot have just been give to other members here on the classic.
You pay the shipping .
Sorry But I'd conceder it a waste of Money to overhaul it.
But if you have too then do it.

Srick76

Down shift grinding

Eddie how did you make out with this and how did you fix it? Mine is grinding while downshifting from 3rd into 2nd. I am new to my ‘69 w 3 speed on the floor so I’m looking for guidance too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While we're waiting for Eddie to respond, have you checked that your clutch is fully releasing when you press the pedal? That's the first thing to check I would think. Even fiddle with adjustments just to see what, if any changes it makes.

Then I would check that the linkage is adjusted properly. It might be wearing a bit, or maybe even not have been installed correctly in the first place.
Should be some guidance online I would think, but it's probably as simple as disconnecting the rods at the arms, putting both of the shift arms in neutral, putting the shifter in neutral (and maybe lining up a pin to set them up perfectly centered?) and then adjusting the rods to fit.
Not sure, and it's been way too long since I installed mine to remember. But it might be a quick-n-easy project.

Then just change the fluid like we were talking. Whether it helped the original poster or not, it's still a legit test/fix before pulling a transmission out and spending the time and money on rebuilding it. Yeah, it might be time. But then again, if you can get another 15-20k miles on it from a $15 oil change, it seems like money well spent to me.

By the way, welcome to classicbroncos Srick! Is this a new-to-you Bronco? Or have you had it awhile?
Was it always grinding on downshifts, or did it progress over time?

Good luck. Curious what happened in the other case too.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Eddie how did you make out with this and how did you fix it? Mine is grinding while downshifting from 3rd into 2nd. I am new to my ‘69 w 3 speed on the floor so I’m looking for guidance too.

More clutch..? lol J/K

Could definitely be a plethora of things as pauly says...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Oh and welcome aboard as well.. U definitely found the best site on the net...