• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauges stopped working - Need help from you electrical gurus

MidwestTexan

I installed a Centech harness about a month ago and everything worked perfect. I went to fire it up the other day and the water temp, oil pressure and fuel gauge don’t read at all. Everything else (electrically speaking) works as it should.

I checked all of the ground wires which were all good and tight. I also hit all ground areas with a grinder to remove any paint or rust prior to installation. All fuses are good too.

Looking for some direction/advice on where to start.

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
IVR, insterment voltage regulator. Check for power to it. And blinking power out of it to the gauges.

Stock gauges, right?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, do the easy stuff first. With a volt-meter you should see full battery voltage going in to the little regulator thingy at the bottom of the cluster. You should be able to get the probes on it without removing anything.

Also, check the fuses. I don't remember if Centech has a gauge fuse, but I think they do.

Paul

OP
OP
MidwestTexan

MidwestTexan

Thanks for the replies! I've been busy as heck and just now getting back to this...

Where is the IVR located?

Yes, the stock gauges are being used.

Thanks again for your help!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
On the back of the gauges there is a little metal box. Power wire goes into it. Out of it is a wire that goes to all 3 gauges. That is the regulated power to the gauges.

It is easy enough to check with a test light as well. The power in should light the test light. The power out should blink the test light like a turn signal. The amount of time on and off should average about 5V, little more when cold, little less when hot.

If you look at any of the three gauges there will be 2 wires going to each. One wire goes to the matching sending unit. The other wire goes to the IVR. The wires off the IVR are short, maybe 4" long. That is how close the IVR is to the gauges.

A lot of people find it easier to work on the back of the gauges from under the hood. Remove the fresh air box on the driver's side and the back of the gauges are easy access.