• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frames value

bronconut1

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 1977 frame. No title I checked the vin and it was last registered 7 years ago. What's the value of something like this?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Little of nothing without the title. Worth thousands with the title...

mebco09

I have a 1977 frame. No title I checked the vin and it was last registered 7 years ago. What's the value of something like this?
Interesting. I would think you could get a lost title for that frame. The VIN is probably being used for someone's project. If you were to get your frame titled, it sure would ruin their day!

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Interesting. I would think you could get a lost title for that frame. The VIN is probably being used for someone's project. If you were to get your frame titled, it sure would ruin their day!
I wonder how much registration information is actually shared between states - if the same VIN can accidently be registered in 2 states?

FordFarmer

Contributor
File for a lost title. I assume a small fee and a little bit of time for a potentially big return on investment.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Depending on your state, the lost title process could be very easy or painfully difficult.

Here in NC if it wasn’t titled in your name previously, they make you do a bonded title which is taking a long time (6 months and counting so far).

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Depending on your state, the lost title process could be very easy or painfully difficult.

Here in NC if it wasn’t titled in your name previously, they make you do a bonded title which is taking a long time (6 months and counting so far).
3 year process in WA. If the title is lost but the owner named on the title is willing to go into the DMV with you it's instant.

papy

Contributor
sorry to rob the thread but what are bare frames with registration/titles going for these days? I have a couple 1970 titled frames that I need to sell.

frames are solid

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I came across this situation some time ago. An acquaintance in another state had a frame with a VIN on it but no title. He found that VIN was registered to a vehicle here in AZ. I was all for ruining the other guy's day :).

Todd Z.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I came across this situation some time ago. An acquaintance in another state had a frame with a VIN on it but no title. He found that VIN was registered to a vehicle here in AZ. I was all for ruining the other guy's day :).

Todd Z.
It's a shame that incompetent/lazy/otherwise-uninformed state inspectors will use the body tag to "verify" the VIN on pre'80 ford trucks. But yet they have always done it and continue to do it...much to the dismay of anyone caught up in that mistake. But heck..most of the current batch of "inspectors" were probably born after 1980...

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See the recent BAT auction of a Bronco with aftermarket frame somehow titled only with door tag. Seller swore it was all legit and no frame VIN was necessary. I would touch a vehicle like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mebco09

Todd Z.
I wonder how they determine who is in the "right". The other guy presumably presented the title, along with fees for his Bronco. Then your friend comes along and tries to get a bonded title in his state. What happens next?

OX1

Bronco Guru
It's a shame that incompetent/lazy/otherwise-uninformed state inspectors will use the body tag to "verify" the VIN on pre'80 ford trucks. But yet they have always done it and continue to do it...much to the dismay of anyone caught up in that mistake. But heck..most of the current batch of "inspectors" were probably born after 1980...

How much of a frame can I "rebuild" and still say it's original?
I have that 74 that I was building into a rock crawler. I tubed out both ends, but
still have most of the center of frame.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much of a frame can I "rebuild" and still say it's original?
I have that 74 that I was building into a rock crawler. I tubed out both ends, but
still have most of the center of frame.
I've sold a few titles without frames....but only those for frames that I personally cut to pieces and scrapped completely. This was back when EBs where not worth much and I had a bunch of them.

Ford's own statement regarding the legal VIN on trucks before 1980 (when a legal VIN appeared on the dash top) is unequivocal: The ONLY VIN that is legal to use for titling and registration is the one on the frame.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder how they determine who is in the "right". The other guy presumably presented the title, along with fees for his Bronco. Then your friend comes along and tries to get a bonded title in his state. What happens next?
Federal law always applies. No matter who was actually responsible for illegally titling the vehicle, he who is left holding that bag is the loser. Some states have remedies involving the assignment of a new VIN....my state not one of those.

I've wondered how often "dual titling" actually occurs...just curious. Hear the horror stories and feel bad for the unsuspecting loser in that scenario, but I wonder how often its been found.

I've repeated over and over again...always verify the frame VIN matches the title on any pre 80s Ford truck you are looking at to buy. The same problem occurs with the F-series trucks. Cab replacements are common....and then someone gets title and registration based on the warranty/info tag on the body. Oops.

durwood71

So, I have a 1970 I want to build. Body was junk and is gone except the dash and VIN plate. I have a clear title. The frame is junk and I've been looking into aftermarket frames. I'm in Indiana. If what y'all are saying is true, how can they sell aftermarket frames? Aftermarket custom frames are big business! I'm sure there are many high dollar Broncos titled, licensed and bought and sold with no frame VINs.
Not building to sell but to keep. Also have a 1971 my wife and I rebuilt a few years ago. It has a new body but original frame.