• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First time Bronco Owner as of yesterday! I have some questions!

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
Picked this up yesterday....

picture.php

She is rough but drivable, a previous owner restored it at some point. Eventually it will get a full makeover. For now though I just want to get it safe for the family and streetable which leads me to my first batch of questions:

1. What brand "family" roll cage do you recommend? Do they all bolt to the floor?

2. I am not a fan of the front drum brakes. What do you guys recommend for a disc swap (I'd prefer a kit)?

3. How about rear seats and seat belts? Any favorites?

4. And lastly, when I put it in reverse it shudders REALLY bad. Am I doing something wrong? Is that typical? Or is there a mechanical issue?

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to dive into this beast!

1971 U15
3 Speed (On the tree)

Last edited:

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congratulations! and WELCOME to the greatest early bronco site! Tell us all the details about it engine , trans, year and vin # will help these guys tell you more than you could imagine about it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Welcome.

I use a local guy to build my cages, Known on Norcalbroncos.com as Cage Dave or Virga Customs on Facebook. Think about quality and then shipping costs to your location.

As stated: GM style Disc brake conversion kits sold by all of the Bronco Vendors.

And as stated, a little more info about your rig is needed to help with your other issue.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome Welcome.... And Congrats on the score

1. roll cage - Highly recommend Bailie Bilt Bolt to Floor
https://broncobumpersandcages.com/store/results.asp?Category=Classic+Bronco&Subcategory=Cages

2. I am not a fan of the front drum brakes. What do you guys recommend for a disc swap (I'd prefer a kit)?
horsepower sales on ebay pretty good kit

She is rough but drivable, a previous owner restored it at some point. Eventually it will get a full makeover. For now though I just want to get it safe for the family and streetable which leads me to my first batch of questions:

1. What brand "family" roll cage do you recommend? Do they all bolt to the floor?

1971 U15
3 Speed (On the tree)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
For a cage go to bailie built up top or protofab.
Being a 71 its probably a dana 30 front end. That leaves you limited to the chevy disc swap up front. You can save money going to the junkyard for spindles, knuckles and caliper brackets then get the other stuff at the local parts store. They are also available in kit form from the vendors. If you plan on bigger tires or 4wheeling it might be worth it to swap in a dana 44.
For real good brakes look into a hydroboost set up.
Have fun

SavageBurro

picture.php

3. How about rear seats and seat belts? Any favorites?

4. And lastly, when I put it in reverse it shudders REALLY bad. Am I doing something wrong? Is that typical? Or is there a mechanical issue?

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to dive into this beast!

1971 U15
3 Speed (On the tree)

Congrats and welcome.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Why not keep the drums? They're primitive, but reliable, simple, and inexpensive. Only drawback that I'm aware of is reduced stopping ability when it's wet.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
For a cage go to bailie built up top or protofab.
Being a 71 its probably a dana 30 front end. That leaves you limited to the chevy disc swap up front. You can save money going to the junkyard for spindles, knuckles and caliper brackets then get the other stuff at the local parts store. They are also available in kit form from the vendors. If you plan on bigger tires or 4wheeling it might be worth it to swap in a dana 44.
For real good brakes look into a hydroboost set up.
Have fun

Depending on when it was built in 71 - early 71 came with a dana 30, late 71 came with a dana 44. 3rd vote for Bailie Built. If you can make it to Super Celebration this fall you may be able to get a cage delivered w/o shipping costs.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Welcome!

1. Cage, I would recommend the Family Cage from Wild Horses. Bigger dia tubing and in my opinion looks better.
2. As for Disk conversion as others stated one from one the the sponsor vendors.
3. Rear seats, Belts. If I was to do it over again I would have bought a whole set from either WH or Tom's
4. As for the shuddering is the motor doing it or could it be a transmission/transfer case mount bushing that is bad, maybe even a bad motor mount.

OP
OP
C

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
Okay, I think the shuddering is just the clutch. It seems like the higher I rev it the less shudder there is. It is just weird that it does it more in reverse. I am pretty sure a new clutch would help!

Another newb question is how do I get it into 4x4. is there a procedure? I've tried locking the hubs, shifting to neutral, and I can't get the transfer case shifter to budge.....

OP
OP
C

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
Some more questions...……

1. Can you guys tell how much of a lift is on it?

2. Whatsup with that spring hanger welded to the frame? Can that hanger be replaced?

3. What are the studs in the bed floor?

4. Any Idea why that screw is sticking out behind the light?

Based on the additional pictures, what do think a fair price was for it, and how much work am I in for?

DC_Gearhead

You need to spend some time on the vendor’s websites:

Dufftuff.com
Wildhorses4x4.com
Broncograveyard.com
Tomsbroncoparts.com

Almost all of your answers are there. You will even find answers to questions you don’t have yet.

The bolts/studs you see in the floor of your bronco are the body mounts. Yes they sell the shock mounts, BGY below. It does look like you are missing your rear body mounts though. Those dimples in the floor back by the tailgate, should have a bolt head in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Concerning brakes, consider hydroboost instead of a vacuum booster (assuming you have power steering). works much better...
And welcome to the forum and the addiction.