• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

firewall insulation?

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
hey guys. my stock firerwall insulation is about 80 % good. right now i have it torn down and can access the firewall insulation easy. most of the time my bronco wont even have a top on it. is it worth it to replace with stock or something aftermarket? i dont really have money to burn but if it made enough difference now would be the time to do it.

thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What does 80% look like? Are there areas of it that are completely gone?
If so then maybe just put something in those areas. Or do the additional heat shielding on the outside where it’s sometimes easier to work and let each of the types work together.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Thats really all thats missing. I was just wondering if something aftermarket worked better. Like I said the top will be off 90 percent of the time anyways. Im not sure if its worth the money and trouble to do anything with it. Its just that now I have it torn down enough to do it.

Attachments

• 20220714_151658.jpg
    20220714_151658.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 75

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don’t know, but it seems to me that’s enough exposed metal to make a difference if you cover it.
However, like you said you’ll be using the bronco with the top off most of the time so you might never even notice

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably. Very likely even.
I just haven’t played with any so can’t say for sure.
I’m sure the members here have done some pretty creative things with insulation though, so maybe they will show their successes.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
well ive tried to overlook this missing insulation but apparently my OCD just will not let me. everytime i look at my bronco all i see is the missing insulation.

so my next question is, is the insulation that all the vendors sell the same? it seems i found another one for like twice the price somewhere else. i dont know if its twice as good or just twice the price. does anyone have different experiences with differnt kits?

thanks

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
ok so the more i read the more replacing this insulation sounds like a pita. most of my insulation is in good shape so maybe i need to just find a way to piece some in to the places im lacking.

do yall know of a good material to use that will look similar to the stock floormat? ive been looking online but it seems everything has a foil shell. that would be fine in i could cover it with some type of rubber mat but i cant seem to find the right product.

fluffybunny

Contributor
You could try spray glueing black tool box drawer liner to the foil backed material. It's thin rubber that is easy to cut. Harbor freight sell a 18x72 roll for $6.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
You could try spray glueing black tool box drawer liner to the foil backed material. It's thin rubber that is easy to cut. Harbor freight sell a 18x72 roll for $6.
that might just work. ordered some half inch insulation off amazon for like 20$ i can put the rubber on it you suggested and that might just be the ticket! thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
New tech in products like DynoMat is MULTIPLE times better in all respects than the stock fiber stuff. We yank out stock matt all the time in the hot rods we have in our club and replace it with DynoMat or equiv and the noise, vibration, harmonics, heat differents are so apparent you will never go back to stock stuff... ever. This is without any other change. Remove the carpet, rip out the stock stuff, install DynoMat and every person we do this with can't believe the difference.

It is not cheap but even with the top off the newer stuff will cut all of the above enough you will notice it with the top off.

OP
OP
4x4man514

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
New tech in products like DynoMat is MULTIPLE times better in all respects than the stock fiber stuff. We yank out stock matt all the time in the hot rods we have in our club and replace it with DynoMat or equiv and the noise, vibration, harmonics, heat differents are so apparent you will never go back to stock stuff... ever. This is without any other change. Remove the carpet, rip out the stock stuff, install DynoMat and every person we do this with can't believe the difference.

It is not cheap but even with the top off the newer stuff will cut all of the above enough you will notice it with the top off.
i might check that out. i wont even have carpet. so just the firewall. do you still think its worth it? and if so which product? it seems they have several. thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't know all the brands but check (do some searching) them out because I know guys here who have used cheep stuff and it smells when it gets warm !!! Don't want that stuff. :)

There are a couple threads on CB about types and there are new ones hitting the market every year.

They work for sure.

Vincen

I used Noico 80 mil butyl and 150 mil closed cell foam under a traditional firewall insulator. I used this combo on my floors and inside of quarters and wheel tubs as well. Temp is more comfortable and the sound improvement with carpet is immense.