• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternative to firewall insulation

mebco09

Just bought firewall insulation for my project and I am hesitating on installing it.

First off, the Bronco is a 67, I am not sure that insulation was included in any model in 1967.

Second, I don't really want anything that will hold moisture against the firewall. This insulation looks like if it gets wet, it will never dry out.

Thinking about separating the black plastic from the "fabric" part of the insulation and maybe coating the plastic in a couple of layers of dynamat, or just doing dynamat on the whole firewall area. I like the finished look of the plastic part of the insulation panel.

Anyone have any thoughts? Am I over-thinking this?

papy

Contributor
Just bought firewall insulation for my project and I am hesitating on installing it.

First off, the Bronco is a 67, I am not sure that insulation was included in any model in 1967.

Second, I don't really want anything that will hold moisture against the firewall. This insulation looks like if it gets wet, it will never dry out.

Thinking about separating the black plastic from the "fabric" part of the insulation and maybe coating the plastic in a couple of layers of dynamat, or just doing dynamat on the whole firewall area. I like the finished look of the plastic part of the insulation panel.

Noico 80mil sound deadening
then Noico RED 150 mil is what i used

with 96 fahrenheit weather this year it was amazing! heat and engine bay barrier - top notch

Attachments

• noico 1.jpg
    noico 1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 247
  • noico 2.jpg
    noico 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 237
  • noico 3.jpg
    noico 3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 226
  • noico 4.jpg
    noico 4.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 229

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Firewall insulation does little to keep the heat out. it's really just for sound.
Just think about it. Why would you hang insulation inside the ceiling of your house?
On the other hand, it does a great job with sound. I doubled the firewall and floor insulation on ours and insulated everywhere else.
It helps with the tunes.;)
To accomplish heat reflection, you'll need to install a reflective coating to the engine side of the firewall. It's not that difficult. There is a stick on aluminized surface that's often installed on the firewall and also completely down the drivetrain. It looks cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Blubuk that is a perfect world answer. I already had motor and body on so I went and insulated firewall with dynamatt and stock repro panel, works great I think, no heat, anywhere.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I used the replacement insulation plus the full coverage noise insulation. Carpet went on top of that. Heat and noise are minimal inside the cab. Water would be a huge problem under the insulation. It has to be stopped at the firewall. The black plastic needs trimming to fit around the column and allow the triangular plate to seal correctly. Do it before installing the dash. It's a real PITA to do lying under the dash.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I made a sheet metal heat shield for the passenger side floorboard. The header on that side is very close to the floor, First I installed Dynamat on the inside, reduced heat only about 10 degrees, then installed the heat shield between header the floor pan, that dropped the heat (on the interior) @65 more degrees!

Last edited:

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
My bronco is in the shop right now getting painted, but I am going to use ceramic beads (stuff that was used on the apollo missions) these are superfine and I will use them in the primer on the floor, then it getting Raptor lined. On top of all that I will probably add a later of something with a vinyl bronco mat. Underneath, I will likely do a heat shield for the exhaust as the 351 being wider typically brings the exhaust even closer to the passenger floor board. I previously had a ZF installed which generated little heat but I am switching to a 4R70W and it will likely thrown off quite a bit of heat to the floor board, so I hope this all helps!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think fire wall rust is pretty rare the 3 Bronco I have stripped had no rust on the fire wall but were Fred Flinstones on the floor board.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
My bronco is in the shop right now getting painted, but I am going to use ceramic beads (stuff that was used on the apollo missions) these are superfine and I will use them in the primer on the floor, then it getting Raptor lined. On top of all that I will probably add a later of something with a vinyl bronco mat. Underneath, I will likely do a heat shield for the exhaust as the 351 being wider typically brings the exhaust even closer to the passenger floor board. I previously had a ZF installed which generated little heat but I am switching to a 4R70W and it will likely thrown off quite a bit of heat to the floor board, so I hope this all helps!

This is what I used. HyTech ceramic beads mixed with the Raptor liner and it works very well.

mkbronco76

Whose firewall kit did you purchase? I am looking at Toms Offroad and LMC currently

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Mine came from Wild Horses. I pulled off the fabric/cloth insulation attached to the plastic, put dynamat on the back side of that, and then pushed and pulled and heated and cut to get a good fit. It was a real struggle to get the heater box to fit. Looks good now, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't just dynamat the firewall and call it good.

Mark1911

Agaso outdoor makes a really nice kit.

I used their kit, really nice stuff with the exception of the cottony between layer, super sensitive to trimming and forget about having to make a drill hole after install.

Mark