• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Firewall insulation attachment rubbers

johnbeck

I am attaching the insulation to the firewall with the small rubber plugs. What's the secret? I've torn one already- even after heating it with a hair dryer and putting dish soap on it. Thanks

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am in the same boat as you. I hate those things! I am sure there is some simple method to install them, I have no idea what it is though. I am looking forward to getting an answer as well.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

still fighting

I've tried spray silicon, dish soap, heating the attachment plugs, pushing through the radius of the plug with a screw driver, screwing a 5/16th bolt in the plug and attempting to force it through the fire wall hole. What am I missing? How do you install a simple attachment plug through the firewall holes(I've tried three different holes)? I'd use bolts but am fearful they will project out into the way of something when I put the engine, heater, wiring etc. back in. Thanks

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
for me it was a two person job. lube with liquid soap, and use a drill rod that is small enough so that there is enough remaining space to accommodate the wall of the plug. get it through far enough and have the second person pull gently with needle nose pliers while probing with drill rod to push it through. i did it with body on cart, so access to the firewall wasnt difficult. i still tore a couple, but i had bought extras anticipating problems.

it definitely is a harder job than it should be unless there is an elusive trick.

Hank

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The secret is finding the thinnest-wall tube that will fit through the firewall hole. I think I've used those dinky disposable utility brushes - the ones that are just a thin steel tube mashed flat at one end onto some coarse bristles. Cut one end of the tube into 4 or 6 "fingers" that can be spread gently. Drill a hole in the other end that a small Phillips screwdriver shaft will fit through as a "T" handle. Put the fingers through the firewall & the insulation from the engine side. Apply a LITTLE grease to the OUTsides of the fingers, avoiding getting any inside the tube. Spread the fingers gently, just enough to cram the pointy tip of the rubber retainer inside. The widest point should be barely OUTside the tube (like 1/16" or less). While gently pushing the retainer toward the firewall, pull the T-handle to draw the tube through the firwall, compressing the fingers around the retainer's point. When the fingers clear the firewall, they'll release.

If the fingers bend or the T-handle rips through, either the tube is too thin, or you cut too many fingers. The T-handle hole should be at least the tube's OD from the end; and the distance between the T-handle & the finger slits should be ~3x the thickness of the insulation.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thats a slick idea. I will be trying that out, Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

Thanks HankJr and Steve! I posted eleven days ago, got no answers, so I assumed I must be such a moron failing at this what must be a simple operation that no one would bother to answer me. Thanks again.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
i'm old school, I go with hankjr on the push and pull method.

Last time, I went to the parts store and bought these, they work great. Phillips head screw, works like a drywall anchor.
Good luck.;D;D;D

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 38