• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally! - Finished my front bumper - Build pics added

OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
Build Description & Pics

With the front plate cut and the ends built, I clamped them in place and tack welded it all together. I also cut two triangle braces (one for each side) for additional support from the inserts to the end pieces. I tack welded one to each insert just in front of where the insert meets the frame, and to the bottom of each end piece. They run parallel to the ends of the front plate about 3” behind. I then cut and tack welded the 45 degree pieces below the shackle mounts on each side of the center section. After I had all this tack welded I went back and filled in all the welds moving around a lot so that I wouldn’t warp any of it. I welded all the parts on both the front and back sides. After filling in all the welds, I cut and welded in the triangle pieces under the end tapers on the front plate.

Attachments

• build501.jpg
    build501.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 248
  • build502.jpg
    build502.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 269
  • build503.jpg
    build503.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 275
OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
Build Description & Pics

After everything was welded together, I ground down the welds on the front of the bumper, and used flapper disks to smooth it all down before painting. After grinding the first time, I did have some low spots that I had to fill in with the welder and grind down again. After grinding and smoothing everything out I primed it and painted it “trim black”. The winch fits in tight enough that I have to slide the bumper in part way, then bolt the winch in an slide the bumper in the rest of the way. It’s also pretty tight getting the horizontal bolts in – just enough room on each side of the winch to get a wrench in there.

Attachments

• build601.jpg
    build601.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 260
  • build602.jpg
    build602.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 270
  • build603.jpg
    build603.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 275
  • build604.jpg
    build604.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 272
  • build605.jpg
    build605.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 295

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You definitely raised the bar, cbearly. Fantastic job. Lots of great ideas. Do you have plans for a rear as well?

Benzo

Loc.
SF Bay Area
I say find a fabricator, share your specs, have them build them and get some proceeds from the design :) I know I would buy one!!!