• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass body install

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
For those that have went down the Fiberglass body install route. I would like to hear about your hurdles, issues trials and tribulations of doing so.

I am really interested in building a run around town, beater/offroader based on a fiberglass body so I can drive it more in the winter time if I choose.

tpatton75

Contributor
I liked the challenge of building off the fiberglass tub , but I didn’t get the dashboard back enough to open the wing windows . Found that after painting and was too late to change. I would put a metal front core support if I did it again.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I used fiberglass skins instead of a full body. My front floors, dash, firewall and windshield frame are all metal. Core support is square tubed. No top or doors or tailgate. But mine is more of a streetable almost buggy.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I used fiberglass skins instead of a full body. My front floors, dash, firewall and windshield frame are all metal. Core support is square tubed. No top or doors or tailgate. But mine is more of a streetable almost buggy.
Scoop thanks for replying, I had told my wife about yours and this is more or less the direction I would like to go. Although I think I would go with soft top and soft doors as I would really like to have one I can drive more in the winter when the weather isn't too terrible out, otherwise I would just run no doors and a safari top. Streetable buggy is a good definition!
I missed or forgot you used fiberglass skins.
Do you have a build on the site? How did you attach the skins?

Reactions: POG
OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I should have mentioned, that I bought a frame and axles a few weeks ago and as I started to think about it I realized I could put together a bare bones run about bronco fairly easy as I can use some cast off parts of the bronco I am trying to get back together. Yeah I know, haven't finished one and yet already dreaming about the next one. Broncitis is real...
Best part is my wife is on board with the idea.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Scoop thanks for replying, I had told my wife about yours and this is more or less the direction I would like to go. Although I think I would go with soft top and soft doors as I would really like to have one I can drive more in the winter when the weather isn't too terrible out, otherwise I would just run no doors and a safari top. Streetable buggy is a good definition!
I missed or forgot you used fiberglass skins.
Do you have a build on the site? How did you attach the skins?
No build thread. I built a square tube frame for the rear too. I built both square tube frames so the the skins directly attached (using the stock bolt holes for the front). I narrowed the front and rear for trail clearance. But if you don't narrow you could still easily install a soft top and tail gate. I'll see if I can find some pics.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I remember checking out Scoops rig up in Detroit a couple years ago at the Woodward Cruise, it is a really well built truck. Looks very capable.

Kbpony

I used a Kentrol tub and inner fenders, and the 1/2 cab top and bulkhead might have been from them as well(bought used). Front fenders used but never installed, no idea on brand. Broncodesigns hood and doors. I used a steel tailgate, core support and grill. I bought my tub used, it had been mounted but never driven, so many of the holes had been drilled. I personally found the glass somewhat easier to work with. Just like steel, if you want them to look like they came from the factory, you can bolt them together. If you want them to look like the expensive builds, they will need a little massaging. If I were buying all new, I’d probably talk to Cory at Broncodesigns and get it all there. Super high quality. Make sure you run grounds, but not hard to do. Also, I would highly recommend hood shocks (I used Duff’s) if you don’t plan to pin the hood. I did the build and paint myself the first time, turned out good. Had the hood open up and fold over my head and hit the roll-bar. My body shop did an excellent job with it, and most people can’t tell it’s glass without getting real close.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
What is "winter?"

Sorry, been one of those days.

I've seen one done (Kentrol) but wasn't involved. Coulda been the builder (super anal) but it was gorgeous. And didn't rust.

uncletom

Loc.
Mass City
Mine is also a Kentrol body. I spent a couple years putting it together. 38 years later no rust.
I looked at the Bronco Design body at the Super Celebration a few years ago. Huge improvement in quality compared to mine. Should go together much easier.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
What is "winter?"

Sorry, been one of those days.

I've seen one done (Kentrol) but wasn't involved. Coulda been the builder (super anal) but it was gorgeous. And didn't rust.
Yeah I hear you.... I love my home state and all that it offers, winter is not one of them though.. Fortunately for me, I travel a good bit and can almost any excuse to jump on a plane and head to warmer climes.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
No build thread. I built a square tube frame for the rear too. I built both square tube frames so the the skins directly attached (using the stock bolt holes for the front). I narrowed the front and rear for trail clearance. But if you don't narrow you could still easily install a soft top and tail gate. I'll see if I can find some pics.
Well, I might be headed down your build road at some point. I like the idea of using the metal floor, firewall etc. A buddy that lives a mile down the road got into broncos because of me and I helped him buy a pretty decent body of which he then stripped completely down. He told me today that he is considering buying a brand new tub with the raised rear flares and selling his tube with the inner front clip. I would need to round up fiberglass fenders, grille and do something for a tailgate if I want one. I would probably sand blast the tub and coate both the underneath and floor with a raptor liner and everything else would be fiberglass. Inserts, soft top, soft doors, throw in a mojave heater and go.