• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Factory power steering box leak

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Don't have an in vehicle pic but here's a stock photo.

Edit: added a pic of mine.

It's leaking out of this hole. Quite a bit.

So if there's a leak here, what does this indicate? A bad seal internally or something right there?

At first, I didn't realize these had weep holes and I was thinking I'll just butt weld that shut.

However, since it's there on purpose and serves a purpose, I decided that would be bad. I'm just not sure what a leak here indicates.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
9dd2e964394f636c88a28ba3bd40fa00.jpg
624b2de96ab6fd39d69c7eaeeed4fab7.jpg

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
As stated, the hole is to assist with getting the snap ring out. There's an aluminum cap at the end of the box with an o-ring seal on it. Remove the snap ring, turn the input shaft to push the cap out, replace the seal.

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Ok. So typically that hole is for what, an awl/punch to release the ring? I've never taken the front off of one of those.

However, when it rains, it pours. During my testing/searching for the leak, I noticed the box flexing under load. From left to right etc.... Turns out there's a stress or hairline crack in the $&#*$# frame by the rear flange bolt of the box. Sigh.... so, the box may still need to come out regardless so I can asses the frame and see what I can do there.

Looks like I have bracket options from multiple places to handle that. So, the box is coming out and I'll try my hand at the end seal and I'll add the bracket when it goes back in.

What is the technical name of this seal at the front?

Last edited:

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Punch, awl, Allen wrench etc just whatever you have that is stiff enough to push it out. Walk it back in when done. When you put it back together make sure you keep the end of the ring close to the hole for the next time. It will make sense when you get there.

Sounds like you found the options for the frame fix.

Good luck

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

I've been searching and looking at videos and I see how the snap ring and cap work now.

The question now is are we talking about the oring on the back of the cap that I'm replacing or do I need to actually do that first teflon seal and oring on the piston?

OP
OP
broncobuddha

broncobuddha

Welp, got it out and all of the grime cleaned off. Got the end cap off and am waiting on seals to get here. Hope this takes care of it. If so it'll save me a near $500 outlay for a replacement.
a82b6a36ba90cde021a1864543320de9.jpg
5cfcd8e18afb81f9b5de712b48a1d478.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk