• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swaps are apparently popular

TTownEP

I really appreciate that so many people are doing these Explorer swaps and posting in the tech section. Because I am too and I get to see all these roadblocks and how everyone chips in to solve it before I get there ;D

So thanks everyone!

l1VilMK.jpg

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

This is an early 97 bored .030 over. New pistons, rings, bearings, etc. Painted with gunmetal engine enamel and clear from a can.

It's in the Bronco now, this picture is from a few months ago when I sealed it all up. I am going to run it carbureted for the break-in since that setup is still known good for me. I haven't done a rebuild before so I need to space out my problems/variables.
I have the 4R70W to put in here too, with the EFI.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Nice 96 motor... What color did you paint it?

Sorry my bad, it would be an early production 97 then...

The 3 hash marks on the heads make them gt40 heads and I see an internal exhaust passage on the lower plenum. Which were typical of 96 vintage...

Regardless, I like the motor color and you should be very happy with how it runs, Carb or EFI. :cool:

OP
OP
TTownEP

TTownEP

Sorry my bad, it would be an early production 97 then...

The 3 hash marks on the heads make them gt40 heads and I see an internal exhaust passage on the lower plenum. Which were typical of 96 vintage...

Regardless, I like the motor color and you should be very happy with how it runs, Carb or EFI. :cool:

I know it's got all the 96 stuff like I wanted, but the title said 97 so I rolled with it. It was high mileage but I really wanted the chance to rebuild my first motor anyway, so it didn't scare me off.

I felt kind of bad after I got it running. The people had it as their only vehicle and it had been sitting up for a few weeks while they tried to sell it. They had replaced several items, including the in-tank fuel pump. It turned out to be a loose fuel pump fuse in the fuse box...

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Are you going to be using all of the smog equipment? I have a 96 in my 76 and just got relocated from IN to CO. I need to get the Bronco up to 96 emissions compliance with all of the Explorer systems. Please let me know if you are willing to part with any of that stuff.

If it makes a difference, I grew up in Mobile. My brother and parents are still in town. My brother's business has him on the eastern shore weekly, I could have him pick up the parts and ship them to me and save you the hassle. Let me know.

Sorry for the hijack!

Enjoy!

John

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Are you going to be using all of the smog equipment? I have a 96 in my 76 and just got relocated from IN to CO. I need to get the Bronco up to 96 emissions compliance with all of the Explorer systems.

John

What a project there trailpsycho... You should start a thread on it?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
What a project there trailpsycho... You should start a thread on it?

I just may put a thread together when the time comes. Ive owned this Bronco for 25 yrs. It's never had smog equipment on it in that time. I never expected to relocate to a state with emissions testing....

Hopefully, someone with a near complete setup will have no use for the emissions components and I can get it upgraded, registered and legal for here (CO).

LSharpNM

I just may put a thread together when the time comes. Ive owned this Bronco for 25 yrs. It's never had smog equipment on it in that time. I never expected to relocate to a state with emissions testing....

Hopefully, someone with a near complete setup will have no use for the emissions components and I can get it upgraded, registered and legal for here (CO).

I am picking up a complete '99 tomorrow to pull the engine for the race Bronco I am building. I don't plan on running any of the emissions stuff, so maybe we could work something out. I am in New Mexico.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I am picking up a complete '99 tomorrow to pull the engine for the race Bronco I am building. I don't plan on running any of the emissions stuff, so maybe we could work something out. I am in New Mexico.

That may work out great. I need to make sure there werent any major changes between 96/early 97 and the 99 with regard to the emissions specs. I'll PM you. Thanks!

LSharpNM

That may work out great. I need to make sure there werent any major changes between 96/early 97 and the 99 with regard to the emissions specs. I'll PM you. Thanks!

I know there were definitely some changes with the harness and obviously it has the P heads, but honestly I don't know enough to say whether the emissions components are interchangeable.