• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Experiences swapping an FE in an early bronco

OP
OP
D

Dylancahill55

Ok, I made it here. I read through the thread real fast. It seems there are some poo poo ers. I can say that my rig is amazing and a ball to drive. I have never had overheating problems, just running electric fans. It is big and heavy, but my rig handled that plus heavy bumper and winch just fine. I will try to help. Getting ready to go to a rigs and coffee.
What did you run for headers and exhaust?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So as of now the engine specs are std bore 406 ci
C6aer heads with factory adjustable rockers
Comp 270s solid lifter cam. I like the 282s but I think it’s alittle much. I drove an f100 that had it in a 427 and it was great but in a 4x4 just alittle more torque in the bottom will be good. F427 intake Shooting for right around 9.5-1 compression to keep it pretty pump gas friendly. I’m going to make headers for it not sure if they’ll be chassis style or fender wells yet. Np435,205 trans and t case. I’ve got the twin stick setup with a gear banger shifter for the 4 speed.
Those heads are going to be really small for a 400+ engine. They were small heads when on an under 300 cubic inch engine.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those heads are going to be really small for a 400+ engine. They were small heads when on an under 300 cubic inch engine.
??? Those are my favorite FE head to build with, short of having some 427 heads. I think you've confused those with another casting.

I've got some well-built C6AE-R heads on the 428 2x4V engine that's going in one of my boats. Roughly 500HP..give or take a few.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So as of now the engine specs are std bore 406 ci
C6aer heads with factory adjustable rockers
Comp 270s solid lifter cam. I like the 282s but I think it’s alittle much. I drove an f100 that had it in a 427 and it was great but in a 4x4 just alittle more torque in the bottom will be good. F427 intake Shooting for right around 9.5-1 compression to keep it pretty pump gas friendly. I’m going to make headers for it not sure if they’ll be chassis style or fender wells yet. Np435,205 trans and t case. I’ve got the twin stick setup with a gear banger shifter for the 4 speed.
F427 intake eh?. I've got one those sitting on a 352-4V PI engine for the time being. Not sure if its going to stay there...

OP
OP
D

Dylancahill55

F427 intake eh?. I've got one those sitting on a 352-4V PI engine for the time being. Not sure if its going to stay there...
I got it for helping a buddy fix his car awhile ago. Otherwise I’d probably buy a performer rpm or even the dual quad

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sorry, not well versed in the FE, had small block on my head.
Any small block head from '66 will choke on big cubes. That was what I was thinking.

Robertkrafts

That's what I was running in my '69 trail rig. It worked out very well....routine breakage excepted...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
as in, the most expensive car I ever bought was a cheap BMW.
My most expensive car bought cheaply was an Audi 100LS. Shew...ate me alive trying to save that thing from the junkyard end it so richly deserved.