• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine opinions I need advice.

OP
OP
B

bobzilla

Loc.
Riverside, ca
Im not looking for a real high performance motor. If I had one I would just find something else to break with it. I want something I dont have to worry about. Just something maybe a little over stock for a little bit more smiles per gallon.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bobzilla - Use the build from post #17 with your heads with New valve train and you have a strong, reliable, streetable motor that will bring many smiles along the way. A little over stock with good parts.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
You never described what kind of 351 you have. What induction, heads, front dress, etc. do you have now? Any informed decisions need a starting place, particularly in terms expense.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You will n e v e r regret more torque.. I've owned stock 289's, HP 289's, stock 302's, slightly built 302's, slight built 351's and currenly run a highly modified, well built 418 stroker on EB's. I'd never go back to any of the previous engines except maybe the HP 289 with the toploader for just plain FUN.

Go efi later, q-jets on everything but a highly modified stroker work fantastic as I've tuned and used them on many engines but I can't tune my current 850q-jet to do it all on this stroker... I don't like to, but I'm going efi unless a miracle happens with this setup.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You will n e v e r regret more torque.. I've owned stock 289's, HP 289's, stock 302's, slightly built 302's, slight built 351's and currenly run a highly modified, well built 418 stroker on EB's. I'd never go back to any of the previous engines except maybe the HP 289 with the toploader for just plain FUN.

Go efi later, q-jets on everything but a highly modified stroker work fantastic as I've tuned and used them on many engines but I can't tune my current 850q-jet to do it all on this stroker... I don't like to, but I'm going efi unless a miracle happens with this setup.

Ok, I've built my 302 for bottom end power.
It's got bottom!
I'm at a point where I'm ready to build another motor.
It'll be a 351W with the same Performer cam and Victor Jr heads.
I've decided to build a 351W just because you all are backing it.
You'll hear from me if I'm disappointed.;)
It better be a big, big difference from this torquey 302!

Last edited by a moderator:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Im not looking for a real high performance motor. If I had one I would just find something else to break with it. I want something I dont have to worry about. Just something maybe a little over stock for a little bit more smiles per gallon.

Few of the builds mentioned are really hi performance. But basically like I said before a good mild rebuild will cost you close to what a long block will from a parts house. The most critical component will be the camshaft. if you go to big then the engine may end up doggy with lowend driveability issues. One matched to your driving needs will gain you the most power where you need it. Thats where the fun factor comes in.
For the most part aftermarket heads are not needed if you have the $$ they are nice to have but you rarely see gains in the RPM range most of us tend to drive in. Of course if you build a stroker then Id consider aftermarket heads a must. But still a good mild rebuild will net you a nice motor that you will be happy with and not break the bank.

OP
OP
B

bobzilla

Loc.
Riverside, ca
From what I know about it, it's a 76?ish 351 with what was described by the p.o. to be an R.V. cam in it. Plain Jane v belt power steering and alternator.

OP
OP
B

bobzilla

Loc.
Riverside, ca
From what I know about it, it's a 76?ish 351 with what was described by the p.o. to be an R.V. cam in it. I am assuming it is all a mostly stock motor with a Holley 650. Plain Jane v belt power steering and alternator.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats pretty much considered to be a mild build. Pretty much what you want. I think you'd be missing a lot if you went to even a well built 302.

nvrstuk

Contributor
What are the spec's on the "RV" cam? It's the heart...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
To have a 650 CFM Holley, you must have a 4bbl intake. What 4bbl intake? A 650 CFM carb is more than enough for a none race 351. What Holley List# that is stamped on the front of the air horn?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok I always get in trouble here so how about bolting on some cheap open chambered 2v cleveland heads on that 351w! the heads are cheap, they flow better than any stock cast w head. Bigger valves. yes you should use the correct pistons for the swap buy you dont have to, if your staying low compression. Yes special intake. and longer pushrods. Thats about it. You can run headers or stock C exhaust manifolds. Im not saying you should go stroker. they make them up to 460 cid now. But 351 is much better than 302. just getting you better heads cheaper.

nvrstuk

Contributor
You need the cam specs... in the old days we would say 3/4 race to include anything and everything, yet it really meant nothing! : )

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford used Cleveland heads on Boss 302s. It was a race car engine that had to be offered in some production cars while having no more than 302 CI. Chevy made a Z28 Camaro with a 302 for the same competition. The Boss 302 made lots of HP at 7000 RPM. At 2000 RPM it was useless. It was likely the worst possible choice for a truck. The 300 CI 6 would barely turn 4000 RPM max. But it was likely the best truck engine ever. It could pull strong at less than 1000 RPM and had maximum torque at 1600 RPM. High flow heads, cams, headers, intakes, and carbs do not contribute to a good truck engine. Displacement, mostly from long stroke cranks and high velocity air movement at low RPM with short duration cams do. If you want a high revving race engine maybe a 2000 lb. Cobra kit car would be a better application.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Oh man you missed the whole point. Im not talking about the big port cleveland stuff I said 2v open chambered heads. Their cheap heads, put they flow better than any stock W head. Plus you can put the big valves in them, So you retain good intake velocity at low rpm. you have better flow at all RPM's. you will make better TQ numbers with the cleveland head.