• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Bay Paint Color

amax

I know that fords are typically body color under the hood but I have the engine out of my truck and am not ready to start the snowball that leads to a complete restoration. I plan on painting the body either brittany blue or boxwood green and was wondering if painting the engine compartment a grey enamel color would look good with both of those colors. Im going to paint the front of the frame rails satin black but do not think that I want the entire engine bay satin black. Any thoughts on how this will look or has anyone done it already and have pics? Thanks in advance

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I prefer black on a bronco. Hides more. If I could do it again I would have done linex. In their new smoother spray.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I have been thinking a hammered finish gray paint would look good.
Mine is a Candyapple Red Bronco and I just don't like that much color contrast with a Ford blue engine.

OP
OP
amax

amax

Yeah Im puting my rebuilt 10 years ago carbed 302 back in for now since I have an explorer 5.0 sitting on the engine stand but I havent gotten it completely assembled yet. Im going to paint my motor satin black. Im not a huge fan of the ford blue engine color

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you have the engine out and going to paint the body, I second the motion to paint it the same color as the body. And if voting on color....Boxwood Green.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
You have to make the decision on body color eventually. Go ahead and make the decision now and paint the engine bay that color. IMHO, off color engine bays always give me the feeling that something's off.

Bogar

I concur with the color of the engine bay matching the exterior. I also like the under body to match the exterior.

hucklburry rev2

I want to do body color, engine is out, and I don't want a full resto either. Its a good $20/can to get color match to 1966 color, that is for rattle can, and I'd need what, at least 7 cans???? Either do it right, or don't touch it right now, my opinion, I'm gonna leave as is for now. I don't like black, personally.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't do black. If you plan to do a full resto later, just leave it as is with a good cleaning then paint it later when you do the rest.

OP
OP
amax

amax

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I just need to nail down a color and paint it to match the body. It will end up looking the best in the end

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Engine Bay - Body Color is my only choice.

Attachments

• 69 Bronco - Gobi 2.jpg
    69 Bronco - Gobi 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 132

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I originally shot mine in black. I just had the black blasted out and am re-shooting it in body color. If you're a crawler it doesn't really matter. If you're cleaning up the rest of the Bronco, then clean it all up. That's my opinion. Although Velocity does theirs in Black and it looks good too, but their engines are works of art so it kind of "frames" them in black.

Mustangs2

I know that fords are typically body color under the hood but I have the engine out of my truck and am not ready to start the snowball that leads to a complete restoration. I plan on painting the body either brittany blue or boxwood green and was wondering if painting the engine compartment a grey enamel color would look good with both of those colors. Im going to paint the front of the frame rails satin black but do not think that I want the entire engine bay satin black. Any thoughts on how this will look or has anyone done it already and have pics? Thanks in advance

I have had Black and I have had body color. I actually prefer satin black. I want my engine to be the "jewel" in the jewelry box (engine bay).
I find the satin black paint easy to clean up too. Hope this helps. My thoughts anyway.

Attachments

• CFA4F042-5DFF-4FBC-ACD8-E4825C9EC58B.jpg
    CFA4F042-5DFF-4FBC-ACD8-E4825C9EC58B.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 4CA03CF2-1453-42D3-9982-0634F93CF329.jpeg
    4CA03CF2-1453-42D3-9982-0634F93CF329.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 206

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Body color you can get matching cans of spray paint that are made to you color if it’s prepped right it comes out good

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I don't think there's anything wrong with black, but if I ever have to do it again, I will definitely go body color. Just my $02. ;)

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pete - That is a picture of my 69 Bronco tub. It is a new Jeep color - Gobi

OP
OP
amax

amax

You guys have convinced me. Body color it is.