• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical help - heater switch/radio

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys running a centech harness on my 68. I can’t get my heater switch or my radio to work. Turn signals are not working either but we’re working great before it went to paint but radio and heater weren’t hooked up before that. Anyways, checked to see if I had power on the brown wire labeled “heater” and no dice. I also don’t have power to my radio/lamp wire (orange) either. Key was turned to on position when testing, all my other lights work, I am blowing a fuse in my cigar lighter. Any thoughts would be great!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't remember on the Centech, but is that lighter fuse the same one for the radio and heater as well? Have you checked all the other fuses to make sure another one is not blown as well?

When does the lighter fuse blow? When you turn the key on, when you insert the lighter, or all the time?

Paul

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul, lighter fuse blows when it’s pushed in

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Paul, lighter fuse blows when it’s pushed in

You know I’m not sure but I’ll Check that out!!! The radio is lumped in with the wiper and dome lights and that fuse is fine

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, let us know what you find. A blown lighter fuse seems very common for some reason.
Sometimes it's actually a short right at the lighter itself (defective imported crap and sometimes a wiring snafu) but sometimes the fuse is just a few amps too light for it's intended purpose.

You know, I've always wanted to pull a Centech harness apart and make an actual wire diagram, including where they are located (like old fashioned diagrams) so it would be easier to trace any problems.
Problem is that there really aren't that many problems (and even fewer that are the fault of the harness) and I'm not rich enough to waste all that nice tape on a new one!

But it would still be nice to know where everything comes and goes, other than just the fuses and what they protect.

Good luck. Interested to hear what you find out.

Paul

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Heater and wiper/radio fuses are separate from the cigar and those fuses are intact 😕.... hmmm

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about the lighter blowing? Only happen when you push it in?
Until then it's good?

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
check the ground wires.
if using a lighter with only 1 wire the case of the lighter is the ground, fresh paint could screw that up at some point.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah it blows just when pushed in...i'll double check all my grounds and make sure my body to frame ground is good too... Its just weird because everything else works lights, horn, turn signals...etc.... I downloaded a few tech sheets off of TBP's and going to check the wiring on the heater switch, radio acc power leads and gray cigar lead.... ill keep you posted

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Checking grounds is always a good thing, but I don't see how a lack of a ground can blow a fuse. In fact, it's "too much of a ground" (as in, short-circuit) and the overheating of the element that blows fuses.

Could be a defective lighter. Is it an original that worked before? Or is it a new replacement?

Paul

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Checking grounds is always a good thing, but I don't see how a lack of a ground can blow a fuse. In fact, it's "too much of a ground" (as in, short-circuit) and the overheating of the element that blows fuses.

Could be a defective lighter. Is it an original that worked before? Or is it a new replacement?

Paul

new replacement lighter....ill see if I have an old school spot light I can plug in in place of it and see what that does.... I don't even smoke lol, but I want it to work!