• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI/flywheel/serp questions before pulling 96 Explorer motor

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
I'm going to pull a 96 Explorer motor this weekend. Its got 88,000 miles, and I'm getting it serpentine to headers.

To start, if you have any tips or suggestions for getting it out quickly, fire away. I planned on buying a new harness, is there any point in taking the Explorer harness? Should I just cut it off somewhere since I'm not using the Explorer ECU? Is there any ignition parts I should grab? or is the distributor enough?

I don't have salvage yards close by, so I want to pick up everything possible. It looks like this yard has some Mustang parts.

Should I pick up a new or used Mustang MAF sensor? Is this a service part that may be bad? What should I look for to spot a bad one. I'm sure I won't have this running before the yard's 30 day warranty expires.

I've read that buying the Mustang computer new is better than buying used. Correct? Is this something Napa or Carquest caries?

This Explorer motor is on an auto tranny. I'll install it on my NP435, so I need a flywheel. This yard has a 95 Mustang flywheel for $50.00. Is this the correct flywheel? What do they cost new? Where to get them?

Finally, I've built a York compressor bracket, sitting horizontal, above the my current alternator. I also JUST bought a 200 amp big body alternator from RRAAAYY2. I'd like to use it, and the on board air. Any thoughts? Since I live in the sticks, I've never got a chance to check out what an Explorer serp looks like. Any pics?

Thanks
Chad

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I would say no on the OBA and alt. You might could mount it where the explorer AC goes and all that if you are pretty handy.

Flywheels are only like $90 new at NAPA.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Looks like this yard has a 95 Mustang upper and a 92 Lincoln 5.0 upper. If I can get the MAF off one, which one? I think the Mustang.

Also he has the distributor & coils from this 95 Mustang, I just realized that I need these too. Right? Or he's got a distributor from the 92 Lincoln, & 89 Merc Marquis. Which of these will have the TFI attached?

Chad

Last edited:

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I'm going to pull a 96 Explorer motor this weekend. Its got 88,000 miles, and I'm getting it serpentine to headers.

To start, if you have any tips or suggestions for getting it out quickly, fire away. I planned on buying a new harness, is there any point in taking the Explorer harness? Should I just cut it off somewhere since I'm not using the Explorer ECU? Is there any ignition parts I should grab? or is the distributor enough?No harm in grabbing the harness while you are there. You may need spare connectors in the future. No other ignition parts are needed if you are going with a TFI distributor

I don't have salvage yards close by, so I want to pick up everything possible. It looks like this yard has some Mustang parts.

Should I pick up a new or used Mustang MAF sensor? Is this a service part that may be bad? What should I look for to spot a bad one. I'm sure I won't have this running before the yard's 30 day warranty expires.Used MAF should be acceptable, no real way to spot a bad one

I've read that buying the Mustang computer new is better than buying used. Correct? Is this something Napa or Carquest caries?Yes, reman units are available from most parts stores for around $125

This Explorer motor is on an auto tranny. I'll install it on my NP435, so I need a flywheel. This yard has a 95 Mustang flywheel for $50.00. Is this the correct flywheel? What do they cost new? Where to get them?Mustang has the wrong number of teeth and is the wrong size. For your application you will need a flywheel from an 87 F-150 5.0 four speed, about $95 Now is a good time to replace your clutch as well, get one for the F-150, but make sure you get the Bronco throwout bearing

Finally, I've built a York compressor bracket, sitting horizontal, above the my current alternator. I also JUST bought a 200 amp big body alternator from RRAAAYY2. I'd like to use it, and the on board air. Any thoughts? Since I live in the sticks, I've never got a chance to check out what an Explorer serp looks like. Any pics?You may be able to use your alternator and compressor in place of the Explorer alternator and tensioner bracket. You will need to switch to serpentine pulleys on both, align them with the other pulleys and get the proper length belt. I would keep the Explorer alternator and bracket as a backup in case your setup does not work out.

Thanks
Chad

Good luck and take pics if the York bracket works.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Looks like this yard has a 95 Mustang upper and a 92 Lincoln 5.0 upper. If I can get the MAF off one, which one? I think the Mustang.Get the one off the Mustang, and install it in the Explorer airbox. Or use the Lincoln one if you are going to use a cone style filter on the fender

Also he has the distributor & coils from this 95 Mustang, I just realized that I need these too. Right? Or he's got a distributor from the 92 Lincoln, & 89 Merc Marquis. Which of these will have the TFI attached? 95 Mustang is the remote TFI. The Lincoln or the Mercury 5.0 dizzy will work fine

Chad

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Pedestrian, thanks a million. Building the York bracket took some time, but I was thinking that by using a serp/vgroove pulley on the alternator, I could then run a v-belt up to the York. I'll have to see/experiment.

From what I understood, the air filter box had been taken off the Explorer. If it is the better set up, I'll keep looking for another one used. I guess I haven't seen how it all fits in and EB, so I was assuming I would use the aircone filter. I'll start looking for pics. If someone has a picture handy of the Explorer airbox in an EB, I'd love to see it.

Gotta go to work.

Thanks
Chad

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
My final shopping list for tomorrow- let me know where I can improve:

96 Explorer motor- everything available, including VSS, & sensor end of wire harness - I don't think I want or need computer end of wire harness, will it plug to an older computer? Ditch the headers & keep the O2 sensors?

95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & airbox, inertia switch

92 Lincoln MKVII 5.0 - MAF, distributor, coil, computer, throttle cable cam from throttle body, complete engine wire harness & BP sensor - do I want any part of the throttle cable?

I'll be on the lookout for a serp York pump too.

I'm buying both MAF set ups after reading another thread. This way I'll have both options to work with. A disadvantage of living in the mountains.

I'm going to try to make my own harness, by splicing the two harnesses together. If they are in good condition, of course.

Thanks
Chad

samamarshall

Keep us updated, I' just bought a junker '00 mountaineer with a running 302, I'll be pulling anything and everything I can use then scrapping it, and then finding what I need to put the 87-93 efi onto it.

Not sure if I can use the throttle body, MAF, or any sensors of the Mountaineer yet and pair with the mustang ECU, so I need to keep reading...

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
From what I've read, you can use all but the MAF sensor. You'll need a Barometric Pressure sensor from a "Mustang", the Explorer's computer calculated BP, so there is no sensor.

Some of the Explorer sensors are in different locations, or may have different plug ends, but otherwise will work fine with an earlier computer. You'll have to graft the Explorer sensor ends onto a "Mustang" harness, or have a new one built by RJM or the like.

Keep reading - these pages really help:http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=62
part 4 has some specifics on the Explorer swap.

If the Mountaineer is an AWD or 4x4 with the auto, you have a good tranny too. R470W - Wide ratio (low gear 1st) w/overdrive, you'll just have to add an electronic controller. read here:http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00080.html

Chad

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
The Explorer came with two different styles of airboxes. One was long and round, the other was small and square. The small square one fits perfect if you move your battery to the driver's side.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Thanks I'll see what I find tomorrow.

Pedestrian, how does your truck run on the highway, are you happy with your gearing? I've got a set of f/w 79 Bronco axles w/stock 3.50s almost ready to install. I was going to drive them w/the 3.50's, just to see how the truck acted. With my current carbed 302, I couldn't imagine being very happy @ highway speeds.

Here is where I got a little curious, I noticed that 5.0 Explorers with the 4R70W transmission, (4.10 gears (the lowest available), and I guessed at 30" tall tires) are only turning 2100 rpm @ 65mph. Does this rpm offer you passing power without dropping a gear? I figured that if the Explorers were built to cruise at 2000 rpm, our Broncos might be ok. 3.50 gears put us at about 2350 rpm. I'm at a further disadvantage, living and driving at 7,700'-10,000'=25% loss of power.

Chad

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I run 3.50 gears and 33x12.5 -15
My motor runs pretty strong and will easily pull 80+ all day long, never really feels like it is straining. Being at that altitude, you are probably going to downshift alot.

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
SD or MAF???????

Ok, today did not go exactly as planned. Left the yard without my motor. I got it down to 1 motor mount bolt, flexplate bolts, trans to block bolts, and removing the exhaust. The weather was terrible- cold & rainy, I couldn't access some of the bolts, would have been easy with a sawzall, or air tools. I'm a wimp and gave up. So I told them to finish pulling it, charge me a fair price & I'll return to pick it up. Then we drove home 1.5+hrs in a snow storm on a very curvy road (CO HWY 92). Tough day.

On the bright side, the Explorer was in GREAT shape, 88,000 miles, Eddie Bower, with just enough front end damage to total. Didn't even push the radiator into the fan. Only thing missing was the MAF sensor from the airbox, didn't need that anyways.

Other good news, I left with a dizzy & computer from a 90 Lincoln Town Car - 5.0.

Can anyone tell me if this is a S/D system or MAF? Does MAF=H.O. firing order? or does only H.O.=H.O. firing order? Does this dizzy need a different cam gear for the 96 Explorer motor?

The computer is A0D2 (thats a zero not an O). According to Napa, they show both S/D & MAF stuff for the '90 LTC. I saw something similar to the MAF they show, but also read there was a "dummy" MAF on S/Ds that year. When I go back to pick up the motor, I'll look for actual wires running to the MAF. I didn't find a BP/MAP, I was looking. Where would I find it?

I got a MAF from a 95 Taurus SHO 3.2L Auto(55mm w/hose ends, same as 91 Mustang), also got the airbox w/ACT sesor. The airbox & inlet tubing looks like it may work on the passenger wheel well, we'll see.

Chad

OP
OP
gunnibronco

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Its a steel gear on the distributor, based on pics in this post:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1008975&postcount=8

Thats a rollered, HO motor, right? OK with my Explorer motor, sweet!

So I think its a HO motor w/SD, if I'm reading right. I'd like to find the MAP or BP sensor & look at the MAF/dummy when I go back. I think if it was a Cali car it had MAF, possibly. I'm keeping up hope, it'll save me $100.00 if it is.

FYI, the 95 Taurus SHO airbox uses the 91 Mustang ACT sensor, not the newer one.

Chad