• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Earliest Broncos known to exist (1-30)!!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Five years later to the day, I did find out some additional information on this car recently. Ford built 2 4WD Falcon Rancheros in the early '60s as part of some future 4WD development work although I wasn't able to discern anything on the Rancheros that transferred to the Bronco program.

Both Rancheros had a prototype IFS (SLA type) with a differential bolted to a modified unibody structure - similar to later IFS front ends like the 88-newer Chevy trucks, '97-newer F150s, etc. The first one had a 6 cylinder and a 3 speed and the latter one had a 260 and a toploader 4 speed. Both had single speed transfer cases.

Todd Z.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
read that on Hemmings Todd....good stuff! you get around!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
read that on Hemmings Todd....good stuff! you get around!

Saw your name in the comments too, tasker! When I was reading the stuff a few days ago, it jogged something in my memory that I had recalled a photo of such a thing at some point so I started googling and ended up there.

Todd Z.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
love the history part of it....would love to find that Ranchero one of these days!

TXAV8R

1966 u14 DSO code 0001

Last year I finally got my first early Bronco. I found my 1966 on Craigslist.Someone was just trying to get rid of their Bronco. The price was right so I went ahead and picked it up. I noticed that the serial number was early but I wasn't sure as to how early. #U14FL732278. It being 66(no report) it is pretty tough to compile information about the history and VIN delineation. I need to find out what the modifications my DSO(520001) is referring to and restore the beauty back to original. I've used all the Vin decoders to no avail.Any help y'all could throw my way is appreciated.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Last year I finally got my first early Bronco. I found my 1966 on Craigslist.Someone was just trying to get rid of their Bronco. The price was right so I went ahead and picked it up. I noticed that the serial number was early but I wasn't sure as to how early. #U14FL732278. It being 66(no report) it is pretty tough to compile information about the history and VIN delineation. I need to find out what the modifications my DSO(520001) is referring to and restore the beauty back to original. I've used all the Vin decoders to no avail.Any help y'all could throw my way is appreciated.

Well, that sounds like a real cool rig. Very, very early half cab. Judging by that number, I'm guessing that's a first few days of production rig. And by that low production number, I'm not surprised that it's 0001 in the Dallas district in terms of special orders.

I did a double take when I saw your username - thought maybe it was "Tax Evader" and then realized since you're probably in TX, maybe it's "Texas Aviator"?

Todd Z.

TXAV8R

HAHAHA that might be a better username. I've got some pics that I am trying to upload now. I think in the 1966 bronco 52 DSO is referring to Des Moines Iowa

rmk57

Could somebody explain the difference between Rangoon red and Poppy red.
My September build 66 has "J" Rangoon as the color and has what seems to be alot of orange mixed with red.

Where as the Poppy red Falcons, Mustangs Iv'e seen around have the same orange tint in the red.

Which is the redder of the two.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
HAHAHA that might be a better username. I've got some pics that I am trying to upload now. I think in the 1966 bronco 52 DSO is referring to Des Moines Iowa

Yes, I believe you're right now that I've looked at several other sources. Looks like Dallas DSO didn't become 52 until '72.

Todd Z.

broncojack

Contributor
Well I found and brought home U15FL732025.
It's from South Dakota and was a "Barn Find". Probably not going to keep it and going on EBay soon.

Attachments

• 0310181342-1.jpg
    0310181342-1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 0310180944.jpg
    0310180944.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 119

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's incredible! Probably lots of interesting oddities on that thing.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
That’s awesome! We have 05 and 36. That makes the 3 earliest production Broncos so far all U15s in Rangoon Red. I’d love to see more of it.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
That’s awesome! We have 05 and 36. That makes the 3 earliest production Broncos so far all U15s in Rangoon Red. I’d love to see more of it.

So you're the one who bought 05. I inspected 05 extensively. That's a very cool bronco with an interesting story. Did you know the original owner started his business in 1966 too? That bronco was part of his successful camper business from day one.