• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual Battery Options

rekoj71

looking for opinions/experiencies with different dual battery installations/kits

I'm looking into dual battery kits on the web and there seem to be 2 different approaches to the idea.

1) uses an issolator ( http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/battery_isolator.shtml ) that isolates the batteries all of the time, thus keeping a battery for starting and a battery running all of the accessories, so that if you drain your battery while the engine is off, the starting battery will still be charged and get your engine started again.

2) uses a solenoid ( http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=40103 ) that disconnects the second battery when the key is not in run or start, and keeps the second battery in reserve to help jumpstart the main battery if it would become drained while the engine is off. All of the accessories are to be connected to the main battery in this set up.

There might be other ideas or options out there and I am looking for opinions and experiences with how well either system works or any charging issues to be had with them.

I am toying with running 2 optima yellow tops which that company says can be used for both starting and deep cycle applications on there web site, but would like to know what the best way to control/charge them would be

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
I run dual Optimas with a solenoid setup from Wrangler NW products. Works well and the selector switch has three modes:

1-Batterys isolated but both are charged from the alternator,
2-Completely Isolated, and only Main battery is charged
3-Charging and drawing from both batterys for situations like winching.

http://www.wranglernw.com/default.aspx?SkinID=2

dualoptimas.jpg

crankman

well i have neither kit, just paralleled the exact same size & brand battery together. It works fine for me in my setup. :cool:

pbwcr

Dual Batts DIY

Simple way is DIY buy a 4 position switch from West Marine and you will have all options covered. No solenoids or isolators to fail. The big truck batt store or any welding supply store have the wire and connectors and will usually crimp them free. I like the WM switch that is make before break to avoid any loss of power when switching. The are meant for big engine boats and will deal with lost of amps.
PW

6daze

I have the painless kit and it works great....I bought it from summit, they had the best price at the time.

eric0o1

we will be releasing this product in the upcomming weeks (waiting on boxes for packaging) The Digital Power Manager is a weather-proof battery isolator and battery combiner. It provides Main start-battery drain protection along with automatically combining two batteries for large electrical loads such as winches, auxiliary lights, and other large electrical accessories. The DPM will also automatically control which battery will be charged by the alternator first. Meaning the Main battery’s voltage must reach 12.6 volts before the Auxiliary battery will be allowed to charge. It does all of the switching between batterys for you, so no manual switching is neccessary.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=40120

OP
OP
rekoj71

rekoj71

we will be releasing this product in the upcomming weeks (waiting on boxes for packaging) The Digital Power Manager is a weather-proof battery isolator and battery combiner. It provides Main start-battery drain protection along with automatically combining two batteries for large electrical loads such as winches, auxiliary lights, and other large electrical accessories. The DPM will also automatically control which battery will be charged by the alternator first. Meaning the Main battery’s voltage must reach 12.6 volts before the Auxiliary battery will be allowed to charge. It does all of the switching between batterys for you, so no manual switching is neccessary.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=40120

I saw this on your website when I did a search but I can't seem to get a price listed for it. Still got to watch my budget so not sure if it would be in my price range.

eric0o1

Based on what I know about the product, which isn't as much as the others here who have been involved with the development of the product, it should be around $200, like our other waterproof dual battery kit. There is a good chance it will be a little cheaper. Everyone is out on vaction at the moment, I can get a better price range (every vendor will be different) on monday.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a big marine switch nice and simple.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 71