• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone else get bored with the same old builds?

Hipstreet

I pulled my bronco out of a barn, hired "a guy" to do stuff and way under-deliver, ramped up my own education to rebuild a 302, rewire the entire thing, undo all of the farm stuff, only to find that I am no longer inspired by broncos. All of the high-end, coyote-built, leather, blah-blah-blah has really worn thin.

Everything is sky-jacked, tube-reinforced, 35+ wheels, cut fenders...and it begs the question...am I the only one that is getting bored with the same "high-end build" inspiration?

I know it is sacrilegious to slap IFS on, or lower the thing overall, but come on...it is one of the simplest, and most stylish convertibles ever built. Can we get some creativity please?!
A 6 figure truck would require some creativity and innovation. Not just a new firewall and some brakes. Comeone, lets tuck the bumpers, french some lights, please do something innovative...pleeeaassseeee?!

Maybe I am alone on this island, I was excited when I bought this 67 uncut that had run into a ditch and hadn't run for years. Now I find myself so bored with all of the 150K+ builds that are really redundant and boring.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I pulled my bronco out of a barn, hired "a guy" to do stuff and way under-deliver, ramped up my own education to rebuild a 302, rewire the entire thing, undo all of the farm stuff, only to find that I am no longer inspired by broncos. All of the high-end, coyote-built, leather, blah-blah-blah has really worn thin.

Everything is sky-jacked, tube-reinforced, 35+ wheels, cut fenders...and it begs the question...am I the only one that is getting bored with the same "high-end build" inspiration?

I know it is sacrilegious to slap IFS on, or lower the thing overall, but come on...it is one of the simplest, and most stylish convertibles ever built. Can we get some creativity please?!
A 6 figure truck would require some creativity and innovation. Not just a new firewall and some brakes. Comeone, lets tuck the bumpers, french some lights, please do something innovative...pleeeaassseeee?!

Maybe I am alone on this island, I was excited when I bought this 67 uncut that had run into a ditch and hadn't run for years. Now I find myself so bored with all of the 150K+ builds that are really redundant and boring.
You’re not alone at all. I find most of the big shop builds extremely tacky and boring with no creativity at all. Wood floors and Brittany Blue are way overplayed. But that’s the market they are selling to. The social media crazed people who are appalled at anything not Coyote swapped.

But there are still some of us out there who love the vintage aspect and the history involved. We are the ones who still do things the old school way instead of ordering everything off the internet and bolting it on. We still drive three on the tree and tune carburetors.

Build it the way you’re inspired to build it, and it’ll be appreciated by the people who matter.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
So why doesn't this inspire you to build something different? I'm all for it! I'd love to see a different build. There are some out there - I like the slammed builds. Not my style but I still think they're cool.

Not sure why you're complaining? Just do it!

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
There are so many cool ways to build these trucks. The fact that you are disgusted by the current trendy builds says more about your character.
The lines of a bronco work very well for a slammed 2wd, or hoonigan inspired 4wd drift truck. I will build one of the two before I die.
Build it however you want, #$%# the haters.
You'll only get flack around here if you trash a survivor.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Like others have said build some thing different but save the survivors. Dont cut the crap out of and uncut original truck. Besides that go for it. I like more traditional builds and stock restos. But I appreciate the work that goes into the high end builds. Not my cup of tea and not in my budget but I get it, the market is there for those builds so people are going to build them.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’m with you but more inspired by drivetrain/chassis mods. My I don’t want to offend anyone, I appreciate all builds, some more than others but those that show innovation in improved technology with chassis and suspension and/or a different engine swap get me going. I’ve built mine the way I wanted to drive and perform, some hate it, some love it and it has inspired some to build differently. That’s part of what I love about these trucks and the people that own them, we all have different ideas. I will walk right by most high end builds to closely examine a truck that may not be as pretty but is used and has innovation under its skin, whether that innovation was Stroppe inspired from the 60’s or trophy truck inspired from 2023. Build what you want like you want, doesn’t have to be like everyone else. Personally I don’t care if you do cut a survivor, takes fortitude and vision to cut a perfectly good vehicle and make it yours, they make books for restorations, but doesn’t mean I won’t spend hours ooggling over one though.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I don’t look at the high end builders. I look at members’ builds on this site. Currently helping friends with an extended half cab top on a bronco.Frame off build. Everything I have learned is either by experience or on this site.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Must just be me but I find this a odd first post. You bought a Bronco and didn't like what the guy you took it did but can't show anything you have done?? You are complaining about lack of innovation, so I'm hoping for some pictures or examples of your innovations. Nothing to show, just complaining of others not doing it?? I could careless about a high end coyote build. Like others have mentioned I enjoy the out of box builds as well.

A couple examples, yeller, BMC69, madgyver, etc. Looking forward to Dylan's BMW diesel conversion. Others have come up with improvements that they sell. What do these have in common? All have done things differently than the normal and have backed it up. At least one has taken flack with a vehicle I would love to wheel, while most of his detractors most likely don't have anything I would even want to drive.

For me, if you are going to complain about lack of innovation have some picture type of examples of what you want to to see or better yet have done yourself. You want leaders, be one.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I’m with you but more inspired by drivetrain/chassis mods. My I don’t want to offend anyone, I appreciate all builds, some more than others but those that show innovation in improved technology with chassis and suspension and/or a different engine swap get me going. I’ve built mine the way I wanted to drive and perform, some hate it, some love it and it has inspired some to build differently. That’s part of what I love about these trucks and the people that own them, we all have different ideas. I will walk right by most high end builds to closely examine a truck that may not be as pretty but is used and has innovation under its skin, whether that innovation was Stroppe inspired from the 60’s or trophy truck inspired from 2023. Build what you want like you want, doesn’t have to be like everyone else. Personally I don’t care if you do cut a survivor, takes fortitude and vision to cut a perfectly good vehicle and make it yours, they make books for restorations, but doesn’t mean I won’t spend hours ooggling over one though.
This in so many ways! There is art and skill in almost every build. Love it or hate it, you have to find something unique and of a vision. Facebook has all the keyboard warriors wound up over a slammed Bronco or a Bronco with an LS. I could not care any less if you slam one and put an LS in it. I may not prefer it, but I can dang sure find something well outside of the box on the build and certainly not belittle the build or the guy working towards his vision. However, I do love to stir the pot and love jabbing at the obvious, but in a very respectful and nonoffending way. In a lot of ways people have gone away from being constructive and supportive to the hobby to far too much opinion and of single mindedness on how something is done.

To the OP, build away! I beg you to step as far out of the box and as far away from the cookie cutter builds the market is flooded with. If you want to do IFS, do it! if you want to run 24" wheels and 40" tires on a dana 30 in the front with 29 spline axles in the back, do it (I will have a little fun sending jabs your way, but I will respect the intentions)! Just build it, have fun building it, and keep the hobby alive! at the end of the day it is making you happy and allowing you to enjoy the Bronco....

eBronc2

Contributor
Different strokes for different folks, but yeah, there are a few trends that don't sit well with me, and there's always a few things that are just flat out WRONG.

Most of the "trends" won't last (that's why they're "trends") - huge diameter wheels with O-ring tires, quilted leather interiors, massive entertainment screens taking up the entire dash, etc. Broncos became "cool" (as far as social media goes) a few years ago, but they'll fade from the forefront of the masses before very long. Those just wanting to make a quick buck on the latest thing will move on to something else (thank God), and our small core community of honest Bronco lovers will remain. Prices will come back down to - well, maybe not all the way back down to earth, but hopefully at least drop out of the stratosphere.

My build started as a $300 parts truck drug out of a field. It's coming along - not much is left but the frame and the transfer case (and the glovebox door), but I've kept the stock overall look. New body, but no LED lights. New motor, but's a carbed 351W. New trans, but it's a ZF 5 speed. New suspension, but it's still coils, leaf springs, and Dana axles. New dash, but still has the stock speedo, pull knobs, glovebox, etc (just moved around a little bit). I build what I want to build, not what I think will impress somebody else.

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
I understand where you're coming from, I myself have some unpopular preferences that annoy purists, but it's a financial risk for the big name builders to diverge from the proven formula. I'm all for YOU building that slammed IFS Bronco though if that's what tickles your fancy, so get after it and post pics as you go.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I see several types of builders doing the same stuff over and over. Not good or bad but they have their specific templates that they do over and over and over.

In terms of the larger builders:

1. Icon 4x4. They are in a league of their own but they have their template niches for Old, School, New School, etc. The Derelicts are the best for my taste.
2. Agaso Outdoor. Unique in their own right and not doing Coyote conversions from what I recall. Traditional, quality builds with upgrades.
3. Classic Ford Broncos, Vintage Broncos, Gateway, Velocity MANY others. Coyote, 1" BL, 3.5" SL, etc. All the same to me and its what gets done over and over.

I like to look at what the amateurs are doing. Way more fun.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
But there are still some of us out there who love the vintage aspect and the history involved. We are the ones who still do things the old school way instead of ordering everything off the internet and bolting it on. We still drive three on the tree and tune carburetors.
wouldn't have it any other way!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You mean every '67/68 mustang fastback is now an Elanor clone? Got tired of that after the first year as well. It's taken a long time but has finally played out for the most part.

I sold my Bronco 13 years ago with the plans to build another that was less crawler and more of a fun hoon around rig. The bad part was that was just when the values took off and I could never afford the fresh start.