• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disk Brake Conversion Question - Spindle Removal 1976 Front End?

Pitts1s

I am having trouble removing the spindles from the 1976 Dana 44. I do not want to "beat" them off for fear of damage? What methods has anyone used to safely remove spindles without damage?

Andy
Deer Park TX
1974 Bronco
andymiller@houston.rr.com

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There should be a groove in the bottom of the spindle that you can use to pry it some also a wood block and hammer wont damage it.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
spindal removal

The correct way is to use a spindal removal tool. My friend has one and it is great. I think (complete off-road)complete off-road spindal tool It's basically a spindal nut w/a socket welded to it and a bolt threaded though the end of the socket. You could probably make one...hope this helps,Chuck :cool:

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
you could use a rubber mallet also...just hit the spindal in different directions. also you could heat the knuckle a little to make it expand away from the spindal.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Use a dead-blow mallet and start whacking it from all different directions. It should come out pretty easily. Forget all that custom tool business, the mallet will do the job just fine. Just make sure you use a DB or rubber mallet and not a steel hammer.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
Mine were really stuck and I got them off with a three jaw puller. Take your spindle nut and spin it on till all the threads are engaged. Then put your puller jaws on the spindle nut and the puller bolt in the middle of the spindle. This works pretty much like the spindle puller. Just make sure the jaws dont slip off when you are cranking on it.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
JKrieg70 said:
Mine were really stuck and I got them off with a three jaw puller. Take your spindle nut and spin it on till all the threads are engaged. Then put your puller jaws on the spindle nut and the puller bolt in the middle of the spindle. This works pretty much like the spindle puller. Just make sure the jaws dont slip off when you are cranking on it.

I do it a similar way. I put a spindle nut on the spindle and use a power steering pulley remover. Works perfectly.