• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disk Brake Conversion Spindle Question

NorCalBronco

Contributor
I'm installing a Wild Horses disk brake conversion on a currie dana 44 axle. The instructions have options regarding "ealy style" and "late style" axles and the seals to apply. Since I'm starting with a new axle I'm not sure what I have and dont have anything to compare to :) Can someone take a look at the attached pictures and tell me the installation parts that apply to get this spindle attached? Thank you!
spindle.jpeg
axle.jpeg
disk_instructions.jpeg

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Just want to throw this out there before you get too far along. With these installed you don't need any seals.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hope I’m remembering this correctly. I’ve been known to get a thing or three backwards before. :) The spindle can accept the press-in seal like you have it, or you can leave that seal out and use the floating seals.
Which one you would use depends on the axle shaft then.
So take the seal out and slide it along your axle shaft and see if it fits around the shank of the outer shaft.
My guess is it probably does not. If not, then use the floating seals.

The spindle bushing replacements that gr8scott posted about could do the job as well. I still like using seals, however, to keep majority of the debris away from the area.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your new axle has the pressed on flange and will not engage with the pressed in spindle seal. The OD that flange is pressed on to would be what engaged the press-in spindle seal if it was the older style axle., and the flange would not be there. You'll need to remove that pressed-in seal and use the "Forsheda V-Ring" floating face seal.

OP
OP
NorCalBronco

NorCalBronco

Contributor
Thanks everyone like always!
Your new axle has the pressed on flange and will not engage with the pressed in spindle seal. The OD that flange is pressed on to would be what engaged the press-in spindle seal if it was the older style axle., and the flange would not be there. You'll need to remove that pressed-in seal and use the "Forsheda V-Ring" floating face seal.
Just so I'm clear and dont screw it up, I pop out the gold/red seal that is in the spindle and use the V-Ring instead? I can't tell what direction the the V-ring should go on. The thick part or the "V" part towards the wheel? Seems to be able to go on either way.

OP
OP
NorCalBronco

NorCalBronco

Contributor
Thanks everyone like always!

Just so I'm clear and dont screw it up, I pop out the gold/red seal that is in the spindle and use the V-Ring instead? I can't tell what direction the the V-ring should go on. The thick part or the "V" part towards the wheel? Seems to be able to go on either way.
So according to this video, Spindle/Seal Install on Dana44, which seems to match my type of axle, the flat part goes towards the axle flange, and the V shaped side goes towards the wheel.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s been a while, but I believe that’s how I install mine.
And you should still put the small ring seal up against the spindle bearing.
The bearings should be recessed, with just enough space above it to insert that seal. It’s not a heavy press fit, but does stay in place.
There are variations on this theme as well, according to who you talk to, but I have always put the open face in towards the bearing.

There should also be a plastic thrust bearing/washer that goes up against the axle.
There’s a beveled side and that faces the differential.

OP
OP
NorCalBronco

NorCalBronco

Contributor
It’s been a while, but I believe that’s how I install mine.
And you should still put the small ring seal up against the spindle bearing.
The bearings should be recessed, with just enough space above it to insert that seal. It’s not a heavy press fit, but does stay in place.
There are variations on this theme as well, according to who you talk to, but I have always put the open face in towards the bearing.

There should also be a plastic thrust bearing/washer that goes up against the axle.
There’s a beveled side and that faces the differential.
Yep I was able to get them all buttoned up yesterday. Getting close to finishing this last big job
IMG_4362.jpeg