• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

disc brake question...

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Could someone please tell me if there is a certain year explorer where the rear disc set-up will bolt to a 77 eb axle? One with the proper bolt spacing and offset that does not need modification. I've searched bunches and seem to have confused myself with all the "late style big bearing, torino style big bearing and then the 74/75 large bearing but small brakes etc, etc." talk. Any help appreciated. Darrell

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Could someone please tell me if there is a certain year explorer where the rear disc set-up will bolt to a 77 eb axle? One with the proper bolt spacing and offset that does not need modification. I've searched bunches and seem to have confused myself with all the "late style big bearing, torino style big bearing and then the 74/75 large bearing but small brakes etc, etc." talk. Any help appreciated. Darrell

It's not actually a bolt- on.
But the "medium bearing" 74/75 axle housing is the hot ticket for some of these swaps.

Check out WH catalog.
It has a kit with axles and Explorer rear disc as a package.

Part no. 3025

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The explorer kit, your best option is just to pony up and buy the Wild Horses setup. It comes with the axles machined fro the correct spacing etc. for that setup to fit. I looked into sourcing it all myself and there was no savings in it since you will have to get the axles re-machined or simply replaced...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\/\ What they said! x3

I did the research into doing it myself too and can't justify not using the WH kit.

If you DIY with junkyard parts then you will need a spacer between the axle and the rotor or custom axles.

Most of the time I prefer DIY with junkyard parts, but not this time.

OP
OP
broncobeater

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
/\/\/\ What they said! x3

I did the research into doing it myself too and can't justify not using the WH kit.

If you DIY with junkyard parts then you will need a spacer between the axle and the rotor or custom axles.

Most of the time I prefer DIY with junkyard parts, but not this time.

Was going that route, had already ordered the WH kit but was notified not in stock till mid December. Bought the extreme 31 spline axles and a detroit locker instead and was gonna source the explorer parts myself. Did the pick a part thing yesterday only to see that the parts I sourced wont fit my 77' axle.
I do have a 74/75 complete axle housing but now my axles wont fit that housing I dont think. What to do now?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
OP
OP
broncobeater

broncobeater

Loc.
Hesperia
Pretty sure they switched to the Torino/new big bearing housing ends in '78 but I didn't google to confirm. The various Wilwood setups seems pretty cool although I'm not a huge fan of fixed calipers with semi-floating axle setups.

Todd Z.

What is the downside to that sort of set=up? Looked at the Wilwood set up myself but thought it would be to much brake for the ass end. Stock front discs
with a adjustable proportion valve and F250 hydro boost already allows the ass end to over brake the front in a emergency stop situation. Mostly wanted the disc for efficiency and to get away from drum technology which has it's share of problems. Looked today at speedway motors for a weld on bracket alternative but got lost in the to many choices department again.