• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake proportioning valve/ rear drum question.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I am fixing to install my front disc conversion kit, is there a diagram any where showing what to do with the proportioning valve?

I am going to rebuild my rear drums, what should I look at to see if I need new drums or not?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am fixing to install my front disc conversion kit, is there a diagram any where showing what to do with the proportioning valve?
First of all, what kit is it, and what type of proportioning valve did it come with?
Did it come with enough lines and fittings and brackets to mount it, or is it left up to you?
Over the years most of us have simply mounted the proportioning valve, either on a bracket similar to a 76/77 bracket, or mounted it wherever it seemed convenient, and was easy to plumb in the lines.
If it’s a manually adjustable one, that changes things to necessitate putting it where you can access the knob.
I am going to rebuild my rear drums, what should I look at to see if I need new drums or not?
There’s really only one criteria. Are they within specifications.
There’s usually a number cast into the outer area of the drum, where you can see it’s maximum diameter.
For example “11.08 inches” or something like that.
You can measure it yourself if you have the tools and means, or take it into a machine shop to resurfaces drums and rotors, and ask them if it’s within specifications.
If it’s still within spec, but has deep grooves in it, that once removed will put it out of specification, you need a new drum.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
First of all, what kit is it, and what type of proportioning valve did it come with?
Did it come with enough lines and fittings and brackets to mount it, or is it left up to you?
Over the years most of us have simply mounted the proportioning valve, either on a bracket similar to a 76/77 bracket, or mounted it wherever it seemed convenient, and was easy to plumb in the lines.
If it’s a manually adjustable one, that changes things to necessitate putting it where you can access the knob.

There’s really only one criteria. Are they within specifications.
There’s usually a number cast into the outer area of the drum, where you can see it’s maximum diameter.
For example “11.08 inches” or something like that.
You can measure it yourself if you have the tools and means, or take it into a machine shop to resurfaces drums and rotors, and ask them if it’s within specifications.
If it’s still within spec, but has deep grooves in it, that once removed will put it out of specification, you need a new drum.
I don't recall where I bought the kit from, got it from one of the vendors. I've attached a picture, while looking at the picture I realized it came with a mounting bracket. So I have that on hand.

As for the drum, I think I'll shell out the $300 bucks for a complete kit and be done with it.
View attachment 906478

Attachments

• 5451-Brake-Proportioning-Valve-Kit-New-Disc-Disc-145x145.jpg
    5451-Brake-Proportioning-Valve-Kit-New-Disc-Disc-145x145.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Not sure where you clipped photo of combination valve from. . . .but it is labeled as "Disc-Disc".
There are two flavors of pictured valve, Disc-Disc, and Disc-Drum.
Hopefully you have the Disc-Drum version.

and a PSA: take a flared 3/16 brake line and see how it fits all 5 seats in the valve body.