• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Diesel piggyback rig for the Bronco-anybody use methanol

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Anybody use methanol to increase power/mpg/efficiency on their diesels they tow their EB's with?

I will soon have a 6.7 Pwrstroke and am looking at making it different because that seems to be what I do with everything I own. :) "Stock is just the Start" is my motto!

I have followed methanol injection from using a syphon system to the way cool over the top expensive kits out there now that the marketing teams boast wonders about.

I want a relatively KISS setup but wouldn't mind some feedback from others that tow/haul with it first?

Anybody?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Waaaaay back in the day on the older diesels we could do propane injection for cheap, propane was cheap then too. Can't imagine wanting it or needing it on a new or newer 6.7l. Have you driven one? What's you're current tow rig?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
This will be new to me in a couple weeks. Yes, I've driven one in an F350.

Just wondering if anybody has done it and wondering if it's helped them for efficiency and/or mileage. Used to be old skool along with the propane.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It’s only effective under load like pulling a long grade to reduce EGT. There is little to no power to be had in the methanol itself, could even use distilled water, methanol is just more efficient at cooling and doesn’t freeze. The guys I’ve talked to that use it, have said it’s pretty useless towing/driving, drag racing, sled pulling etc it’s great but cost prohibitive in a driving scenario due to the amount used over using it for many minutes at a time versus seconds for a drag race.

Back in the day propane was great, cheap, cleaned up combustion and created enough fuel mileage increase to cover the expense of the propane, with modern diesels the benefit is greatly reduced.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It’s only effective under load like pulling a long grade to reduce EGT. There is little to no power to be had in the methanol itself, could even use distilled water, methanol is just more efficient at cooling and doesn’t freeze. The guys I’ve talked to that use it, have said it’s pretty useless towing/driving, drag racing, sled pulling etc it’s great but cost prohibitive in a driving scenario due to the amount used over using it for many minutes at a time versus seconds for a drag race.

Back in the day propane was great, cheap, cleaned up combustion and created enough fuel mileage increase to cover the expense of the propane, with modern diesels the benefit is greatly reduced.
Yes, without considerable boost psi no spray. Not a lot of boost for daily driving especially in town to where there would be any benefit imo. I can't imagine a new 6.7l needing it.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's kinda of what I'm thinking too Steve. More I read the more it's just an option for high boost. KISS method.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
From what I've read about it I wouldn't even want to handle it. Toxic on your skin and deadly should someone try to drink it.

At one time they were working on E-diesel which was some ethanol mixed with diesel but I've never seen anything come of that.

Propane the same way. Use to be used with diesels around here. A neighbor even has/had an old Dodge with a propane tank in the back for injection. More common on irrigation wells where you could drop a 500 gallon tank and the room it took up didn't matter. The higher prices killed all of that.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmmm, this is one of those, do you really want to fry your high pressure pump using something other than diesel moments, as the fuel lubricates the pump, anything alcohol, not so much....