• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D44 front and willwood kit(s)

strebel

Help a noob out doing a restomod.

I have a Currie built D44 that came complete with ford disk brakes, I assume like a 77 Bronco.

I have a willwood front brake kit for the Bronco with drum brakes. It has the larger 6 piston calipers and uses a radial caliper mount.

Yes willwood has a kit for existing disk brake upgrades, but it uses only 4 piston calipers and a smaller rotor, lug mount.

So my question is.. I think I basically need to convert the d44 back to drum type setup, to use the willwood kit for drum brakes.

I’m assuming this is just a spindle swap back to drum? And/or knuckles too? And/or hub too?

Image is of the current Currie supplied disk brakes.

Link to wilwood kit with for drum brakes: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13304

Link to wilwood kit for existing disk brake upgrade: https://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13928

Notice different mounting, caliper and rotor sizes.

Advice Much appreciated.

915165ddd711cc2bb0ed412d1b85fa9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
If you have the Wilwood drum to disc kit, I don’t think it’ll work on your D44.

The later (76-77) D44 knuckles have 5 bolt spindle mounts. The earlier D44 knuckles have 6 bolt spindle mounts.

The Wilwood drum to disc kit appears to only have the 6 bolt configuration which means they’re not interchangeable without changing the knuckles.

If this is the brake mounting bracket in the drum to disc kit, it has the 6 mounting holes.

IMG_1820.png

Last edited:

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
adding…. The drum to disc kit looks like it will only work on the early D44s. However, the disc to disc kit appear that it may be drilled for the 5 and 6 bolt spindles.

IMG_1821.png

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

Yeah.. 5 bolt spindles. Will follow the advice and contact wilwood, see if they have a solution to suit my needs. THANK YOU

feff77084b9549a78d0f3661f232217d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Correct - the 6 piston kit will require you to use the drum brake knuckles rather than the disc brake knuckles you have now.

Todd Z.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Wilwood sells 2 different 6 piston brake setups for the 76/77 spindles. If you already have the kit for the 6 bolt you may be able to just but the caliper mounting bracket. Wilwood has always been very helpful when I’ve needed to do weird things. Just give them a call and they’ll get you sorted.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wilwood sells 2 different 6 piston brake setups for the 76/77 spindles. If you already have the kit for the 6 bolt you may be able to just but the caliper mounting bracket. Wilwood has always been very helpful when I’ve needed to do weird things. Just give them a call and they’ll get you sorted.
Thanks for the correction! For some odd reason I can't get on the Wilwood site here at work (desktop and PC both won't load it) and forgot they do offer the larger caliper kits for the Ford knuckles for the larger dia. wheels.

And you're right about the individual parts and pieces - I like that Wilwood's site breaks down all the PNs for those things so it makes it easier to mix and match if desired.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
strebel

strebel

As @Wild horse 75 said, 140-13305 has the proper mounting bracket.. derp. I just need to purchase that specific moutning bracket (250-13312) and some shims/bolts should be good. Thank you

Last edited: