• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom leather interior

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I’m pretty sure they buy complete seats to reupholster. Once they have them, they can use the old covers to make patterns, unless they plan or reshaping the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Leather in a bronco just seems like a bad idea. I cringe at the thought when it rains and water get's in ....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think LMC also has a leather seat option. At least they do on the bigger trucks.

Depends on how high end of a build they are doing. If it is just leather seats, buy out of a catalog and be done. But full matching interior (door panels and stuff), let the upholstery shop trim everything in matching hides.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Jason - if your not looking to keep the original seat style then one option is to get junkyard seats from a suitable donor vehicle and then get a leather interior kit from leatherseats.com they have an online tool to design your own. I picked up front and rear Jeep jk seats from a 2016 2 door wrangler and you can get basic or custom leather kits in any color you want. In my case I decided to wait on the leather and just had the front seat customized at an upholstery shop for a small fee.

Attachments

• FBCDF444-F1D6-485B-B804-C7A224E46BED.jpg
    FBCDF444-F1D6-485B-B804-C7A224E46BED.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 28217589-ED56-4198-9D99-E57CEAAEDFFC.jpeg
    28217589-ED56-4198-9D99-E57CEAAEDFFC.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 162

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Cortez,

The front seat looks great!. Any pictured of them installed? How good do the Wrangler seats fit?

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
I've been looking at interiors for a while and while I can find aftermarket seats that look great its the wanting to match them to front/rear panels where the issue comes in. These are some of the companies I've found for seats...

https://wrangler.leatherseats.com/2013-2018-wrangler-leather-interior.html
https://bigdogauto.com/c-1306660-seats-upholstery-ford-bronco.html
http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/component/virtuemart/ford/bronco/1967-1977/upholstery_5901cf8dae9ed/1968-77-bronco-front-bucket-seats-detail?Itemid=2

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
"Originally Posted by Slowleak View Post
I cringe at the thought of my Bronco being in the rain... "

Not thousands of us...we believe Broncos are for using them for what they were designed for!! Not babied and parked in some garage if a few drops of rain are falling on it... that's why we have Hot Rods...

: )

I suppose if I could ever part with $17,000 for an interior I wouldn't want anybody to SIT on it much less have that kind of finish work inside a Bronco!

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
I enquired about their interiors and was told by them they run between 9,500- 17,500 but that post says they start at 12,000. I've never priced out custom interior but I didn't expect it to be that much. :eek:

WOW - that's a lot of dough for an interior - that probably fits more into the street queen builds that are being built and sold for six figures... I'll keep my mastercraft seats, functional, comfortable, and can get wet!

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
Yeah, those prices seem crazy! I drive my bronco in rain, snow, mud, dirt, rocks, and sunshine I don't care I just enjoy driving her. With that being said I do like nice interior and speakers so it's not easy making that happen in a bronco without paying crazy $$$. Which I don't mind paying a premium for nicer things but at some point, the cost just seems ridiculous.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
12K for a true custom interior sounds about right. You have to figure it being leather etc. as well. Keep in mind a quality hide is running about $600 right now, finer grading = more money. A front seat will take at least 2 hides to cover completely, you would be surprised at how much of the hide is wasted from scratches, imperfections etc. Figure quality labor to run about 400 a seat. I have used shops that were cheaper and the results were very evident compared to those who were more. The time my shop puts into my interiors is a lot but they have to be to be on that next level. We also do not do cookie cutter interiors either, each one is different and when we add shaping into the mix it adds to the labor. You can look to companies like TMI and do the sport foam over your original seats but you will be 1K into the front 2 seats in materials, new foam, covers, listing wire etc. then you have to assemble them. Its not hard but it takes time and lots of energy get things stretched right. As for carpet the only set I will buy is from Tom's. Theirs is sewn, not bolded and will lay in like they should but you will still need to steam, heat, stretch, trim and glue to get it looking clean and professional. It is not rocket science but it does take patience to do an interior yourself and get stellar results. When you think an upholstery company charges a lot, they really don't once you see the amount of time and effort that goes into the whole process and have clean tight results.

Last edited:

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
12K for a true custom interior sabot right. You have to figure it being leather etc. as well. Keep in mind a quality hide is running about $600 right now, finer grading = more money. A front seat will take at least 2 hides to cover completely, you would be surprised at how much of the hide is wasted from scratches, imperfections etc. Figure quality labor to run about 400 a seat. I have used shops that were cheaper and the results were very evident compared to those who were more. The time my shop puts into my interiors is a lot but they have to be to be on that next level. We also do not do cookie cutter interiors either, each one is different and when we add shaping into the mix it adds to the labor. You can look to companies like TMI and do the sport foam over your original seats but you will be 1K into the front 2 seats in materials, new foam, covers, listing wire etc. then you have to assemble them. Its not hard but it takes time and lots of energy get things stretched right. As for carpet the only set I will buy is from Tom's. Theirs is sewn, not bolded and will lay in like they should but you will still need to steam, heat, stretch, trim and glue to get it looking clean and professional. It is not rocket science but it does take patience to do an interior yourself and get stellar results. When you think an upholstery company charges a lot, they really don't once you see the amount of time and effort that goes into the whole process and have clean tight results.

I agree with you, I think the price reflects the quality of the product and some amazing craftmanship. I'm thinking though that it has a home in a certain type of EB - maybe a more "refined" horse lol...

OP
OP
jasonmcc

jasonmcc

Loc.
Nola -> Utah
12K for a true custom interior sabot right. You have to figure it being leather etc. as well. Keep in mind a quality hide is running about $600 right now, finer grading = more money. A front seat will take at least 2 hides to cover completely, you would be surprised at how much of the hide is wasted from scratches, imperfections etc. Figure quality labor to run about 400 a seat. I have used shops that were cheaper and the results were very evident compared to those who were more. The time my shop puts into my interiors is a lot but they have to be to be on that next level. We also do not do cookie cutter interiors either, each one is different and when we add shaping into the mix it adds to the labor. You can look to companies like TMI and do the sport foam over your original seats but you will be 1K into the front 2 seats in materials, new foam, covers, listing wire etc. then you have to assemble them. Its not hard but it takes time and lots of energy get things stretched right. As for carpet the only set I will buy is from Tom's. Theirs is sewn, not bolded and will lay in like they should but you will still need to steam, heat, stretch, trim and glue to get it looking clean and professional. It is not rocket science but it does take patience to do an interior yourself and get stellar results. When you think an upholstery company charges a lot, they really don't once you see the amount of time and effort that goes into the whole process and have clean tight results.

In the limited research, I've done this is what I've found.
Bucket seat front and back 45sq ft... x2=90
Small Bench seat 115sq ft... x1=115
1/2 door panels 25 sq ft... x2=50
Full rear quarter panels 35 sq ft... x2=70
Front dash 10 sq ft... x1=10
TOTAL SQ FT = 335 give yourself some extra sooo 350
Let's say you choose Dakota's Saddlebag that's $285 for a hide at avg size of 65 sq ft per hide
If you order 6 hides that's 390 sq ft total (extra 55 sq ft) @ $1700
That's for 100% leather and no cloth or different material done in the center (body)
Bestop Trailmax II seats front and back are about $1160
So without hogclips, shipping, and the actual labor, you're at $2,860

$12,000 (starting price)
-$2,860 (leather and seats)
------------
$9,140 in labor???

This is the starting price and most of the work seems to not be 100% leather and have some sort of other material in the center of seats that could change this pricing. Not trying to start an argument just trying to educate myself and currently have limited knowledge. Does this seem about right? What am I missing?

Last edited: