• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Converting 3 on a column to automatic tranny

broncobrent

?:? Hi, I really want an automatic EB, but some of the best specimins I've seen have 3 on the column manual shifting.<br><br>How much and how difficult is the conversion to automatic?<br><br>Does it work and look good?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>BroncoBrent e-mail:brent@fredrickscommercial.com

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
It's not too bad with second hand parts. Probably best to buy a auto trans and transfer case together and changing to a auto steering column is pretty easy. Keep your eyes open in the classifieds for parts you can sometime get them cheap. I just sold Ken75ranger a auto steering column for $25 so you can find them cheap if you look. It's only a little harder than replacing a clutch. Good luck

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
If you go auto trans out of a bronco (C4) its super easy. But to make it shift on the column you need to get a bronco auto column, (or a tilt out of something else). With the new column you may need to steering shafts if the column you get doesnt match what you are taking out. <br><br>I went to a C4 with a jerry riged pos auto floor shifter, Now I just went with powersteering conversion and at the same time added and rebuilt a auto column out of a 75 bronc. Only thing I need now is a c4 shift lever to go with my column.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
My '72 has been converted from 3 on the tree to a C4 auto. My column is original and I'm using a Hurst cable operated floor shifter which works OK. I'm going to be doing a power steering conversion soon and I'm planning on switching out the steering column for a later model auto column. The floor shifter works OK but I moved it to the tranny hump to make room for my Tuffy center console. Since the shifter now sits to the right of the transfer case shifter its in kind of an awkward location. Plus I bought a Tuffy speaker box that I want to mount the the tranny hump which means I need to get rid of that floor shifter and go to a column shift. I just bought an '75 auto column along with the shifting linkage and steering shaft for $50 plus shipping.

bobby

Loc.
Jacksonville Florida
[quote author=classic4x4s link=board=5;threadid=13612;start=0#102494 date=1043433559]<br>Do the c4 and 3 speed use the same mounting locations? Is there any welding or fabrication involved?<br>[/quote]<br><br>the c4 and the 3 speed mount to the same spot.