• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

color composition/formula for Raven Black vs. DCC 9300 or DBC 9700

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

So I usually prefer the blackest blacks which I have found (at least in DuPont) to be DCC 9300 (single stage) or DBC 9700 (base/clear).

But...I am really leaning towards changing the color on my Viking Red '74 and feel kind of guilty about not keeping it original. I have known the history of this truck since new (belonged originally to my dad's friend/client, then my buddy bought it, and he sold it to someone who had it for 9 months before I bought it back), the Vin tag on the doorjamb is still there, and it has had a pretty charmed life (never off road, but been to many Grateful Dead shows) despite needing some refreshing and un-doing of mods by the PO.

I really like black on and EB. My hardtop is already painted and it is just great. But, for the rig itself I thought I would perhaps want to use the Raven Black formula vs. the factory pack PPG blacks, mainly to keep it an original '74 color. I am just wondering what the formula actually is. Sometimes manufacturers cut it down with a drop of white or blue or something else. Anyone have any ideas what's in the formula? I know I could go to the paint store, again LOL, but I am wondering if anyone knows off hand or if they have a real world opinion of how black it is.

Thanks again,

Brett

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
There are quite a few different blacks. The standard solid non metallic black out there is a blue black which is on 99% of the black cars out there such as UA on Fords, 040 on Mercedes, 202 on Totoyta, among many other manufacturers. They are all the same toner and every paint manufacturer has a factory pack for it. There are also yellow black, brown black, red black, among others. The UA black (factory pack) is not a hue of blue like a Honda B92P, it's just bluer than the other blacks like the yellow black, brown black ect.

With that said, I just checked the paint code "A" on original Ford Broncos on my paint app. It calls for only one toner off the machine which is a very black black, 924 in Glasurit 90 Line which is waterbourne. It looks like since you want a very black black and original paint color you are in luck. If you did a sprayout card using the factory pack UA and the 924 toner you would see the UA as slightly bluer.