• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cold Start Struggle

livndlife

Hello all,
I just recently completed performing a couple of minor adjustments in preparation for the summer. I adjusted my A/F mixture as well as the electric choke. But ever since doing this, when I turn on the ignition during cold start, the engine struggles to turn over. It takes about 10 to 15 seconds before it turns over. Do you think I adjusted too lean and now not getting fuel in the bowl of the carb? I don't really want to put the adjustment back since it's now running fairly well especially after it warms up.
NOTE: I have a 4 barrel Edelbrock Carb.

Classicbronco71

Loc.
St. Tammany Parish
I had a mechanical auto choke on mine and it was difficult to start. It wouldn't fully close the valve on the carb. I replaced it with a manual choke full actuation. No more issues. Take the air filter off the carb see if your valve is fully choked before a cold start.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
By "turn over " I assume you mean start/run .
Did you have this issue before ? If not then suspect whatever you changed .
As far as the "cold start " - on both Broncos for about a year or two I've had to turn the ignition key to start longer before the motors will start and run . It takes a while to prime the carbs with gas. The theory is this new "formulated gas" evaporates out of the fuel bowls. I know one guy who went to an electric fuel pump because of this . He turns the key to run for a few seconds before he trys to start his motor . I have a feeling this is ONE of the reasons guys like their fuel injection setups.