• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch always engaged

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Helping a friend diagnose this issue. NP435 replacing a stock tranny. New clutch (installed correctly). Clutch disc and throw out bearing slid along input shaft easily before assembly. Now it won’t disengage. Disconnected adjuster from clutch fork and no change. Thoughts and ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you there at the vehicle too, or doing this remotely for a friend?
What exact vehicle is it?
Did everything work before and this is just a general maintenance clutch change?
Was the transmission changed?
And finally, was this an original three finger style clutch changed to a diaphragm style?

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Not there at the moment. Change from stock transmission to NP435. Unsure on clutch type

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you disconnect the linkage, of course the clutch will always stay engaged. It should anyway.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Reconnect the adjuster & extend it until clutch disengages with clutch pedal depressed - new trans may need a longer or shorter adjuster rod. Then keep adjusting until the grab point is where you want/need it to be.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Yeah, I’m not there, but maybe a longer adjusting rod would make sense.