• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

buying advice question

broncoeer

Rather new here. Looking for my first U15 Bronco. I have found a few that seemed worth going to look at, but the current owners couldn't tell me how many miles are on the engine. Would that be a deal breaker? I could go the inspection route I guess. What are some other deal breakers, as I encounter a search. Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You would be the one to determine if that's a deal breaker for you. Have you known how many miles are on the engine in every used car you've ever purchased? Unless the current owner had the engine rebuilt themselves or knows the entire history of the Bronco (with current engine) how would they know how many miles are on the engine? Take a compression tester and vacuum gauge and run some basic tests on it to determine condition. Those will tell you much more about the condition of the engine than simply knowing the mileage number.

There's a basic "what to look for" you can read in the FAQ section here:

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Means absolutely nothing, how does in run and drive? Poorly built new motor vs somewhat worn out, I will take the worn motor. You have to price a motor into the equation if there is question. A motor is EASY to replace compared to paint/body. Rust issues -body and definitely frame are deal breakers unless you have the time and money to fix right.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
hyghlnder pretty much summed it up. The motor is of no concern in a vehicle as old as an early Bronco. The body now, that is the deal breaker if there is lots of rust, or many trim or interior parts, along with basic mechanicals in need of replacement. It's all the little stuff that can get bad real quick. But mostly bad sheet metal.

triracer67

Contributor
I saw your question, and wish I could provide an answer on exact mileage of motor, I can’t. I can tell you the motor runs strong, has great oil pressure, and has never smoked. Are you local to St. Louis?

OP
OP
B

broncoeer

I saw your question, and wish I could provide an answer on exact mileage of motor, I can’t. I can tell you the motor runs strong, has great oil pressure, and has never smoked. Are you local to St. Louis?
It wasn’t a question about your Bronco. Sorry. In NC

Edit. Just realized which one you were selling. Your Bronco is amazing. My question was regarding someone from FB marketplace. If I lived anywhere near you, I’d be coming to see it.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unless you are dealing with a claimed low mileage survivor, mileage is irrelevant. Anything that has been "restored", restomoded, just plane modified, or built up. At this point it is all about condition. As mentioned, a poorly rebuilt engine is quickly worse than a regular somewhat worn out high mileage engine.

I've never owned a Bronco that I knew the mileage of. The odometer had a number on it. I'm sure that they rolled over at least once, probably a couple of times. Nothing ever had an original engine either. First one had an engine 3 years older than the Bronco that was from a car, second was engineless. I've helped several people remove an engine that was not original (at least the second engine) and helpd put in yet another engine (at least the third engine).

Now a bad body, that is very difficult to take care of. There is the throw a lot of work/money at it approach. I'm more scared of a bad body than bad driveline.

FordFarmer

Contributor
It wasn’t a question about your Bronco. Sorry. In NC

Edit. Just realized which one you were selling. Your Bronco is amazing. My question was regarding someone from FB marketplace. If I lived anywhere near you, I’d be coming to see it.
If you think highly of his Bronco and it’s within your budget I’d be buying a plane ticket.

I bought mine in SW Kansas and drove it home to Memphis…..In a snow storm. Worth it every day and twice in Sunday.

Last edited: