• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seeking Buying Advice

Steelstacks

I am new to the classic bronco world but have been lurking and doing some research for a while now and I think I’m finally ready to start seriously looking for a bronco of my own. Ideally I’d want a 73-77 that I could drive and restore at the same time so engine and frame have to be in good order. I’d prefer minimal rust like everyone else.

My question is where should I look to get the best value besides this forum? I’ve been looking on eBay, BaT, and my local Craigslist equivalent. Been also looking on sites like Highline classics and maxliders because they have a strong Instagram presence. For example, I was interested in the green 77 ranger that Highline classics has for sale for $36k. I don’t know if that’s a fair price because it hasn’t sold for a while now.

I’d appreciate any advice and feedback on any of those places that I’ve mentioned. Like which ones are better than others. Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard!! good to have you with us.

You got the right places.. The key now is to be patient and wait for just that right one to come along

If you find something interesting, post up on here, post pics.. see what folks think

Good luck with your search..

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As "sprdv1" said welcome to the Bronco community. One piece of advice I'll offer is do not buy anything that you yourself cannot go look at. So saying that ,you'll meet some great people on this site that have a wealth of knowledge and information about Ford's first generation Bronco. Good luck with your search,and don't hesitate to ask questions.

ShoeSlinger

I have bought many Broncos and will say Broncosam nailed it on don't buy if you don't personally look at it first. I was fortunate many times buying from just viewing pictures, but I have been burned very badly too. Most don't understand the time/cost to replace door pillars/door posts/rear quarters. Some think $30k is a lot for a Bronco but some of the best values I have seen are in that range if you don't want to do the work.

Antman1984

Good advice guys, I looked hard and heavy for 2 years. The pictures would look good so I would go get the cash out and get there to find crappy work and rust every time. So, I got pretty discouraged and went and bought a Polaris ranger crew in 2013. And this past July a deal feel right in my lap I couldn't refuse and I have a rust free beautiful bronco now. So just don't rush it.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yup take your time, see it with your own eyes, be prepared with cash in hand or be prepared to walk away. The people on this sight are a great resource, if you find one don't be afraid to post some pics and info and ask opinions. Be warry of a pig with lipstick, fresh paint and heavy undercoating can be red flags.

This site, craigslist, local sales papers, and other for sales listing are good places to look. Post an add in the broncos wanted section for what you are looking for. I have purchased a few from listings I placed. Good luck!!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Where are you located? My advice is to join a local Bronco Club and start networking! There are a lot of Broncos out there and a lot of them get sold purely on word of mouth. Good Luck!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Where are you located? My advice is to join a local Bronco Club and start networking! There are a lot of Broncos out there and a lot of them get sold purely on word of mouth. Good Luck!

Definitely a plus.. Get out and see all the different features, mods, see what you like best

And meet a BUNCH of great folks

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Take a Guru (anyone with 1500+ comments) with you to educate you. You don't say where you're at but there's bound to be a guru close by that wouldn't mind going with you to help you ID some of the more common issues.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
it would be just "wrong" to say Don't do it, buy a Heep right? hahaha

Just kidding

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What the others have said. If there is anything we've learned over the last five or six years, it's that current Bronco owners (those that are not members here) have a whole new definition of the terms "rust free" and "barn find" and "drive it home" and "numbers matching" (not really any such thing as numbers matching on most parts of a Bronco and it doesn't change the price on Broncos anyway yet) and probably a few others.
Including "fixed all rusty areas" and other stuff when it turns out they've never even gotten on their backs to even look under their ride and don't know what size tires are on it.
But they can sure talk up a good talk on the phone and e-mail.
So as said, be wary. Or "be werry, werry wary.." (said in his best Elmer Fudd voice).:p

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and auction prices are not the same as real-world prices every time. You can gauge and judge what to pay, but it's not always the same.
Usually you can find better deals.

And don't be too bummed when you miss out on some deals. That happens even to the most diligent followers of Craigslist. Unfortunately often enough to be of note, those that do win those bids on e-bay or nab the c-list find first, are often the ones that find out that they've been had.
Way too often the case. Which is where the many mentions here of seeing it in person first come in.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, I wouldn't look at the auction ones less you got a big bank roll

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Oh, and auction prices are not the same as real-world prices every time. You can gauge and judge what to pay, but it's not always the same.
Usually you can find better deals.

Yeah, I wouldn't look at the auction ones less you got a big bank roll

By definition, BJ and Mecum prices are 20% high. Both the buyer and seller pay the auction houses 10% so a private sale eliminates these fees. Plus there is a set fee to just get the Bronco into the auction - usually $500 - $1000 to "buy" a day and time spot in the auction. Friday and Saturday late afternoons are the most expensive spots because that's when most of the action takes place.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Take a Guru (anyone with 1500+ comments) with you to educate you. You don't say where you're at but there's bound to be a guru close by that wouldn't mind going with you to help you ID some of the more common issues.

Making a bunch of comments doesn't make them a "Guru," I've seen quite a few give wrong information, although most are fairly knowledgeable.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin

Definitely a plus.. Get out and see all the different features, mods, see what you like best

And meet a BUNCH of great folks

X4, and if you're anywhere near TN, the upcoming Super Celebration in Townsend would be a great place to learn a ton from lots of good Bronco folks, early April I believe

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
X4, and if you're anywhere near TN, the upcoming Super Celebration in Townsend would be a great place to learn a ton from lots of good Bronco folks, early April I believe

and see Soooo many nice broncos...

OP
OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

Thank you everyone for all the responses and great advice. I haven’t been able to post because I’ve been busy constantly looking at bronco listings. I’m originally from 90 minutes north of Philadelphia but I’m living in Toronto, Canada right now.

I’ve looked and there are no bronco groups up here. And the bronco listings are rare. So that’s why I’ve been looking at auctions and sites like Highline classics. I know auctions are marked up and I can’t really inspect the vehicle but I feel like I am so limited.

Here is an example of one from eBay that I was really interested in but the bidding got pretty high.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223325155710

He sent me undercarriage pics too and it looked really clean. Do you think this was a fair price for this particular bronco? Just want an idea of what I should be looking to spend. Thanks again for all the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
My advice would be to Come to the super celebration in Tennessee and look around

You will get make lots of new friends and what you learn will be worth way more then the flight and motel cost
Just by talking and asking you will learn what to look for and what to stay far away from

Maybe make some arrangements so you can do a wire transfer if you find one you really like
Which you will
There will be hundreds or Broncos there , some will be for sale

Not sure how hard it is to get it imported into Canadia but a EB does fit nicely in the back of a U-Haul box truck

Do NOT
Do NOT
DO— N-O-T. buy a vehicle without being able to look it over in person , preferably with a bronco guru

An engine is not hard to replace
Although I don’t like to buy a vehicle that doesn’t at least drive onto a trailer , even if I’m planning on replacing the engine , I want it to drive around the parking lot

I can swap 8 or 10 engines in the time it would take me to replace a door post only to have it come out a little or a lot crooked when I’m done anyway

Floors are not too hard to replace
Door posts are a huge huge huge job that not many people can do correctly

I don’t mind patina and some dents and dings
That’s a lot better than buying an nice looking vehicle and later discovering the rocker panels are bondo over rolled up newspaper

Plus you will probably find a bronco that you want to buy

I would never buy a bronco or any old car that has new paint on it
Unless that have hundreds of before and during repair pics

Just assume Fresh paint is hiding lots of rust and bondo because 98% of the time that’s why they slapped some shiny paint on

Also never believe the seller when they say it has a rebuilt engine trans, axle or whatever ,
unless that have receipts , they are lying .
A rebuilt engine or trans or axle is big bucks and usually comes with a warranty , no one spends three or four grand on a new engine with a warranty and then loses the receipt that’s required for warranty work

I’d stay away from auctions
And most CL ads are priced way to high right now
Everyone has seen a few really nice Broncos bring big money at the auctions on TV and think their clunker with fresh paint is worth $40k

And when you do make some upgrades and repairs
Do it right the first time even though it costs more money