• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buyer beware!

johnbeck

I ordered and received a pump from Amazon. The box came and it was the right Edelbrock 1725 box, just someone put a different pump in the box. There were two immediate giveaways of a problem. The 1725 has 3/8th fittings, the pump from the box had 5/8th fittings. The pump from the box had no Edelbrock decal on it, and the castings of the pump were substandard. Who switched the pump with an unlabeled pump? Don't know. There is a number stamped on the main casting: 3904LPP20K19. "Made In USA". I'm going to receive another pump from Amazon, hopefully the 1725 I initially ordered. That said, anyone who's installed the 1725 not have their expectations met? Edelbrock states a pressure regulator isn't necessary, is that your experience? The quality of many after market parts is substandard including 302 fuel pumps. With tax $150 for the 1725. Time is money - I wish I'd known at the beginning of my search for a fuel pump the made in USA Edelbrock was a part that would fit.Hopefully it will provide me with years of service. I once again have spent hours trying to work through finding the right part, hope the pump coming in the mail won't disappoint. John B Thanks gr8scott and all you guys for your help in getting through this!

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
While I haven't bought an Edelbrock fuel pump off Amazon, I've bought enough other stuff that was obviously counterfeit or swapped that I've stopped buying anything from Amazon that has a history of being bogus. Walbro EFI fuel pumps and spark plugs are another example. I bought a Ford Racing oil pan for my 408; it arrived badly damaged inside an obviously undamaged box. Doing a Google search on Amazon + counterfeit and you'll be reading for hours.

RM70

Contributor
It's not uncommon nowadays for Amazon to sell fakes as the real thing.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

Hi Lars. My wife and I have been here for 46 years - SB works for us. We raised seven - two daughters and five sons. The area has grown but I still run into people I know almost every time I go out. Retired SBFD eighteen years ago. John B

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Return it and order direct from Edelbrock. That's what I did with a new MSD coil after reading Amazon reviews of people complaining they were getting counterfeits.

I ordered and received a pump from Amazon. The box came and it was the right Edelbrock 1725 box, just someone put a different pump in the box. There were two immediate giveaways of a problem. The 1725 has 3/8th fittings, the pump from the box had 5/8th fittings. The pump from the box had no Edelbrock decal on it, and the castings of the pump were substandard. Who switched the pump with an unlabeled pump? Don't know. There is a number stamped on the main casting: 3904LPP20K19. "Made In USA". I'm going to receive another pump from Amazon, hopefully the 1725 I initially ordered. That said, anyone who's installed the 1725 not have their expectations met? Edelbrock states a pressure regulator isn't necessary, is that your experience? The quality of many after market parts is substandard including 302 fuel pumps. With tax $150 for the 1725. Time is money - I wish I'd known at the beginning of my search for a fuel pump the made in USA Edelbrock was a part that would fit.Hopefully it will provide me with years of service. I once again have spent hours trying to work through finding the right part, hope the pump coming in the mail won't disappoint. John B Thanks gr8scott and all you guys for your help in getting through this!

Kalex

Contributor
As with anything please research and take this as just a suggestion. I can't remember where I got this list(Maybe from here), but there is a video out where some guys order and test random "supposed" OEM Ford parts. In the video they cover things like box markings, when branding changed, etc... as to help identify if you think something make be knock off. They listed some suppliers they like/trust and here is what I wrote down:

Auto Parts Wholesale
OEM select parts
Gaudian Ford Parts
Aautoparts 11
Auto-Pro America

I have ordered some Ford performance parts and few other Ford items from some of the suppliers on this list and so far don't feel like anything was bogus. As with all things interent these days this info. may be outdated, but thought I would throw it out there. Good luck!

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not just Amazon. I purchased a halogen 7" headlight at Autozone only to find when I got home someone had put an incandescent bulb in the halogen box. I'm pretty sure they paid for a incandescent box with a halogen bulb in it.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

I purchased a camshaft positioning sensor from Oreillys. I kept it in the glove box with a ten mm wrench. Didn't work, had the truck towed. I found out after much diagnostic work by a garage the "new" sensor had problems. Since then I do what I can to find safe suppliers. As expensive as components are you can see the lure of thieves to put the defective part back in the new parts box for a complete refund. Unfortunately the next recipient of that part wastes time discovering that the part is defective and spends time purchasing another part. I believe the verse " Vengeance is Mine Says the Lord". There are some crazy religions that believe you come back and reap the life you lead before, reincarnated. If that were true I would hope "parts thieves" would spend their eternity with a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a hammer, fetching parts 24/7 at a wrecking yard in TJ Mexico. Someimes I struggle with "thou shall love thy enemies". John B

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm 99.999% sure I got counterfeit Motorcraft spark plugs from Rock Auto. Were fine for a while then they all of them started failing. Started as random misfires then the plug would die completely.

Tim

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
That said, anyone who's installed the 1725 not have their expectations met?

No, all expectations met.

Edelbrock states a pressure regulator isn't necessary, is that your experience?

It is. No regulator, no issues.

BTW, National Pipe Thread holes are larger than their stated size. A 3/8" NPT hole is about 5/8" in diameter. The 1725 has 3/8" NPT holes.

Attachments

• npt-chart.jpg
    npt-chart.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 28

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Always read the 1 and 2 star reviews before ordering parts off of amazon. I bought some trash off of there before and reading the reviews before I buy have saved me a couple of times.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Always read the 1 and 2 star reviews before ordering parts off of amazon. I bought some trash off of there before and reading the reviews before I buy have saved me a couple of times.

definitely worth a little extra effort reading those...

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I tried Rock Auto years ago and the second time parts came in an opened up pawed through box I had it with them. Good luck

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

Thanks gr8scott for the info on the 3/8 NPT. Fortunately yesterday afternoon , just after receiving the fuel pump, I was able to get ahold of technical support at Edelbrock, Torrance, Ca. The Edelbrock rep. stated the number stamped on the pump wasn't one of theirs. Additionally, the Edelbrock name would be on the pump. I read the lot date of 11/18/20 from the 1725 Edelbrock box to the rep. and he stated that it was their date and someone must have removed the pump. BTW, often you have a wait for tech service with Edelbrock but they are always overly helpful and even polite. John B

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
definitely worth a little extra effort reading those...
It really is, the amount of fake/low quality chinesium on there is crazy. I've seen videos about really close looking copies of NGK iridium spark plugs bought from amazon with wrong thread pitches and blatantly rubber stamped NGK labels where the letters were out of order lol

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

matts460

Still remember an old issue of Hot Rod magazine that had an article about knock off car parts from foreign sellers on Ebay. Showed the comparison of Auto Meter tach and MSD ignition box, among others. The boxes were near perfect copy of real thing as well as product inside, the tell tail was side by side comparison of boxes and components. The colors of boxes were a shade off and when they disassemble components the electronics inside where way old school vs the real deal. This was before Amazon and others. So just keep that in mind next time you see a good deal on that kind of stuff, knock offs are rampid in collector toy/hobby world as well. Oh and I am sure nobody would buy cheap knock off and resell it ells ware........wait.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I purchased a camshaft positioning sensor from Oreillys. I kept it in the glove box with a ten mm wrench. Didn't work, had the truck towed. I found out after much diagnostic work by a garage the "new" sensor had problems. Since then I do what I can to find safe suppliers. As expensive as components are you can see the lure of thieves to put the defective part back in the new parts box for a complete refund. Unfortunately the next recipient of that part wastes time discovering that the part is defective and spends time purchasing another part. I believe the verse " Vengeance is Mine Says the Lord". There are some crazy religions that believe you come back and reap the life you lead before, reincarnated. If that were true I would hope "parts thieves" would spend their eternity with a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a hammer, fetching parts 24/7 at a wrecking yard in TJ Mexico. Someimes I struggle with "thou shall love thy enemies". John B

Must be a 7.3, I have one (sensor) in my glovebox, with a wrench, too. But it is a Ford part. Sometimes people squeek at OEM parts prices, but you get what you pay for...

Spent a lot of time in SB in the mid 80's and early 90's when 101 had stop lights... A number of friends went to College at UCSB. Many a dive at the Channel Islands. Good times.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

904 your right! 1999 F250, 7.3 -217,000 miles. Always on the hunt for a low mileage 7.3. As a firefighter in Santa Barbara we'd have to bust the 101 intersections to get to the lower section of downtown towards the beach. Timing was every thing. John B

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Rock Auto rant

Ordered a cam synchronizer from Rock Auto for my EDIS powered 408 project a couple of weeks ago. Took forever to get here due to bad midwest weather, no ones' fault there.

Opened the shipping box to find a dirty, grease-stained and ripped carton containing a filthy, worn-out and very used part. WTF. I get accidentally substituting the wrong part but this seems deliberate on someone's part and thus fundamentally dishonest. Someone in the employ of Rock Auto needs to be shown the door. In no uncertain terms. Which likely won't happen.

Their return process means I don't have to eat shipping, but there is also no way to communicate to them how pissed off I was when I discovered this. So I'm posting everywhere I can to spread the word.

i-bWdzmsQ.jpg

i-s4qbvv5.jpg

i-hJGwVPs.jpg

i-6BP922n.jpg