• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco License Plate Light to Camera

gdefilippi

Has anyone done this to replace the *light* with a rear view camera? Is it possible and any guide or parts that were used? Its a nice location for that. I can't tell right off if / how many mods would need to be made, but with a small led it might be a nice fit back there with the stock look.

Thanks,
Geoff

Broncos n' VWs

I can be done. It would be easier to do the license plate frame style camera. Not as stealthy, but that is my $0.02...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Want to do that too, and the plate frame is the most common. But I've got plans to keep the vintage plate frames on mine, so a fancy new one with camera would be my least favorite option at this point.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Driven lots of vehicles with backup cameras. Being offset by a few inches makes for less then ideal camera placement. With as offset as the Bronco license plate is on the tailgate it isn't going to work very good.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
What are you planning to use the camera for? Park assist? Trailer hookup?

For parking: the higher, the better. Keeping it centered will make it MUCH more intuitive - you'll confuse yourself every time (and anyone else who might try to park your eB) putting it offcenter.

For trailer: center is a requirement, and higher is better as long as the ball is in the camera's view.

On Frank's '75, I put his camera on the body-lift filler between the bumper & t/g because he got one that couldn't be aimed down. So it had to be near the ball for him to see it, and trailer connection was his main purpose.

But it would be much better in the top of the rear glass, like a CHMSL.

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
As a rear facing 'dash cam' for accidents it would probably work okay, but would it be as good as something higher up?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might be an optics thing, or it might be software, but in the 16 Lexus LX the camera is offset to the left and just about lower-mid tailgate. Not as far as an EB license plate, but from a vehicle size standpoint, not that far off either. But the view is fantastic and seems "square" for aiming and visualizing what's back there. Very nice setup.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's a software thing. Usually works pretty good but will still throw you off backing up to a trailer most of the time (unless they got something really good).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Makes sense. And speaking of software and integration, that overhead view thing is spectacular! Just like your own little genie sitting on top and saying "hey, you got an inch and a half before you touch that other car. Go for it!" and giving you superman kung-fu parking powers.:cool:

Paul

Jaxgtc

I would think that the tailgate handle bucket would have some potential. I wonder if you could pop out the lock on one of those locking handles and put a camera there....

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"Just a cheapo wireless camera system"

Where did you get this?