• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco heater box find at scrap yard.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am sure this is posted somewhere, I however was not aware of it so I thought I would post it.
I was working on my heater box, new seals, clean and paint and putting in a bigger motor. My metal pieces were in good shape, the plastic housing was cracked and broken in several places. I tried epoxy but it seemed too far gone to repair. I was at the scrap yard looking for treasure as usual and came upon a 69-71 ish Ford truck. I was checking out the inside for knobs and anything else that I could pirate. I looked at the heater box and thought it was close enough to take home and see.
It was the first smart thing I did all week. The plastic body is identical to a Bronco, the backing plate is similar but one of the flappers is in a different position as well as the cable holder. The plate that bolts to the firewall is different as well, it only has 3 bolts that secure it to the firewall. The heater core is the same as a Bronco as well.
I did have to drill holes in the side where the air intake is mounted but other than that its perfect.
A bit long winded here but long story short, I got a good housing for 5 bucks plus my time drilling new holes. I consider that a win!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am at our local yard every weekend. I love that place!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
We used to do the boneyard once a month. Now my buddies are all busy with jobs and family. Were lucky if we get together once a month for the hot rod swap meet. Someday I'm gonna put a heater in my bronco. I've been running manual defrost too long.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Lucky Langester - I cant find any car older than a mid-80’s in the junkyards around here...that’s a gem.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Still a lot of old iron around this area. Seems like every spring a new wave comes in, not sure if its older farms cleaning up or the Reservation cleaning up their lands from old broken down cars. I don't really care how they get there, just happy it ends up where I can get to it.