• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken bolt in head.

crawler73

Long story short I broke the front passenger side intake bolt of in the head. While drilling it out I must of not been centered. Not that the bolt is drilled out and re tapped it's a 3/16-1/4 off center. Not sure how exactly this happened. I can just get the bolt in there but The head of the bolt doesn't sit flat on the intake. I'm worried this is going to make it so that corner of the intake won't deal right.

What's the best course of action to fix this? Weld the hole up and re drill and tape?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You need one of these.
Alignment washers from mcmaster,com
Also known as spherical washers.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Put the intake back on and use it's bolt hole as a guide to drill the hole on-center and straight. May want to make a drill bushing to most accurately guide the drill bit. Once you've got such a hole you can Heli-Coil/Time-sert/Keen-sert the hole to get back the threads.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Put the intake back on and use it's bolt hole as a guide to drill the hole on-center and straight. May want to make a drill bushing to most accurately guide the drill bit. Once you've got such a hole you can Heli-Coil/Time-sert/Keen-sert the hole to get back the threads.

exactly what I did and it worked well! Went with the heli-coil.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX

This is the answer ^^. I once repaired stripped rear main bolt holes with a heilcoil. They are awesome.