• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bought bronco and need suggestions

hey guys.
I bought a 77 Bronco from a 83 year old man who rarely drove it for the last 10 years. It's in mint original condition but just doesn't run like it should. The most noticeable is the delay in acceleration when you step on the gas. It's kind of hesitant for the first few seconds.

What can I do to get this bronco up to is current potential?
I know the maintenance issues can be endless, but what are let's say the top 10 things I can do?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
When was the last time it had a basic tune up?

Plugs...plug wires....? Fuel filter?

Quick & Dirty

I'd start with ignition tune up and carb clean out/rebuild. Probably dried up gas varnish in the carb from sitting so long. Rubber parts like accelerator pump diaphragm may have lost elasticity.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
hey guys.

I bought a 77 Bronco from a 83 year old man who rarely drove it for the last 10 years. It's in mint original condition but just doesn't run like it should. The most noticeable is the delay in acceleration when you step on the gas. It's kind of hesitant for the first few seconds.

What can I do to get this bronco up to is current potential?

I know the maintenance issues can be endless, but what are let's say the top 10 things I can do?
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

First click the link in my signature and become a contributor. This will allow you to post pictures and show people exactly what your looking at if you are not sure.

My top 10 would be all around function and safety. Stop, go and not to leave you stranded. Post a couple of pictures if you can and we could also "picture" the condition of your purchase.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like said above do those things, and also look down in carb as you move throttle and look for a good stream of gas. This lets you know if accelerator pump is working properly ("Rubber parts like accelerator pump diaphragm may have lost elasticity") and if it's not you will defiantly experience a hesitation as described! Good luck and show us a picture of your '77.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Heres what I would do if mine.
make sure the truck is getting clean fresh gas clean the tank and replace rubber fuel lines. check the fuel pump for flow and pressure.

rebuild the carb. do not replace it or swap it for a carb at the auto parts.

check the ignition system make sure the vacuum diaphragm is not leaking. twist the rotor in the distributor and release it it should snap back on its own. look for crosion on all the contacts inside the distributor.

replace all the rubber vacuum lines a 1977 has a lot of them. any loose or cracked lines can cause issues. there are vacuum connections at the back of the auto tranny and the vacuum tree usually has a cap on some of its vacuum ports. remove the pcv valve and check its free floating ball in it. only replace it with a motorcraft one designed for your truck.

ohms check your plug wires and replace them and the plugs if needed.

clean and check your battery connections, be sure to check the ground between the negative post and the body, the negative post and the engine block, the mount and bolt from the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator. the air cleaner has vacuum connections under it too.

change the coolant while your at it.
none of this is expensive unless your paying someone to do it. do not peck at this piecemeal work on the fuel system check and repair from one end to the other, work on the vacuum system cahang all the lines at once not just the worse looking ones. once you fix a system it will hold up for a long time.
run the truck for a week and then do a compression test for the record. compression tests can get weird when engines sit a long time.

change all oils and fluids.
after you get it running properly then address the running gear like brakes wheel bearings and service to those systems.
have fun in your adventure. 1977 is the best year Bronco made and is a great truck to leave in origional condition it needs nothing to make it better if left stock.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
This would be a great DIY video for someone to do.

Heres what I would do if mine.
make sure the truck is getting clean fresh gas clean the tank and replace rubber fuel lines. check the fuel pump for flow and pressure.

rebuild the carb. do not replace it or swap it for a carb at the auto parts.

check the ignition system make sure the vacuum diaphragm is not leaking. twist the rotor in the distributor and release it it should snap back on its own. look for crosion on all the contacts inside the distributor.

replace all the rubber vacuum lines a 1977 has a lot of them. any loose or cracked lines can cause issues. there are vacuum connections at the back of the auto tranny and the vacuum tree usually has a cap on some of its vacuum ports. remove the pcv valve and check its free floating ball in it. only replace it with a motorcraft one designed for your truck.

ohms check your plug wires and replace them and the plugs if needed.

clean and check your battery connections, be sure to check the ground between the negative post and the body, the negative post and the engine block, the mount and bolt from the starter solenoid and the voltage regulator. the air cleaner has vacuum connections under it too.

change the coolant while your at it.
none of this is expensive unless your paying someone to do it. do not peck at this piecemeal work on the fuel system check and repair from one end to the other, work on the vacuum system cahang all the lines at once not just the worse looking ones. once you fix a system it will hold up for a long time.
run the truck for a week and then do a compression test for the record. compression tests can get weird when engines sit a long time.

change all oils and fluids.
after you get it running properly then address the running gear like brakes wheel bearings and service to those systems.
have fun in your adventure. 1977 is the best year Bronco made and is a great truck to leave in origional condition it needs nothing to make it better if left stock.