• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Belt coming off Explorer front dress

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I can't tell if it's my new ac compressor made wrong or if the little play in this junkyard ps pump is making my belt come off my new engine.

I've tried everything I can think of other than getting a belt that only fits one of those two but don't think that's necessary...

Anyone else have this happen from a PS pump?

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I just ordered a new ps pump…hopefully that’s all it is. Not expensive or that difficult to swap, so why not.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
What A/C compressor and PS pump are you running? I had the same issue with my Sanden compressor and Saginaw pump. Had to do some grinding and shimming on the Sanden to get it to line up.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
You might want to check on the condition of the idler pulley bearing and bushing too. The one right next to the ps pump. They can get loose and cause the idler pulley to wobble enough to throw the belt. A tiny coolant leak blowing onto the pulleys will do it too. Ask me how I know lol.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Pulley seems good. I replaced anything not good when I got the explorer stuff. I'm pretty confident that it's the PS pump. It shouldn't move like that.

I ordered from the local parts store and should be here today. I'll try to replace it without making a huge mess and take a video when I start it up to see if anything else is moving.

It would've been BAD if that thing flew off. Someone (me) or something would've gotten hurt.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Pulley seems good. I replaced anything not good when I got the explorer stuff. I'm pretty confident that it's the PS pump. It shouldn't move like that.

I ordered from the local parts store and should be here today. I'll try to replace it without making a huge mess and take a video when I start it up to see if anything else is moving.

It would've been BAD if that thing flew off. Someone (me) or something would've gotten hurt.
I had mine come off about a week ago. Water pump was leaking right onto the crank pulley. Belts don’t like antifreeze lol.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I had mine come off about a week ago. Water pump was leaking right onto the crank pulley. Belts don’t like antifreeze lol.
Did it do any damage? Hope not!

My stuff is so tight in there, I'm sure it would've hurt my expensive fan or something that would've taken a good amount of effort to fix. Here’s a last shot before putting my upper hose on.
IMG_6661.png

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
get a real long straight edge, steel yardstick as an example, place on front of face of pulleys, see where the gap is. Or see where the axis is not flush with other pulleys. Also, it is so easy to replace all idler bearings while building, I did that on three sets of these.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Haha you should’ve seen me last night. I was positive it was the AC compressor and then I used my metal straight edge and then I wasn’t so sure. Then I used a laser and I was even less sure.

Can’t beat a straight line laser. Groove to groove exactly.

Bearings are all new already. Idler pulley is a new smaller one. All components except the ps pump are brand new.

I’ll update after I change the ps pump.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha you should’ve seen me last night. I was positive it was the AC compressor and then I used my metal straight edge and then I wasn’t so sure. Then I used a laser and I was even less sure.

Can’t beat a straight line laser. Groove to groove exactly.

Bearings are all new already. Idler pulley is a new smaller one. All components except the ps pump are brand new.

I’ll update after I change the ps pump.
grove to grove is one thing, is the face of the pulley flush with all the pulleys? That was my issue on the PS pump, had to shim one bolt on pump, it chewed up one side of the belt before I noticed it being bad. Now perfect.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
grove to grove is one thing, is the face of the pulley flush with all the pulleys? That was my issue on the PS pump, had to shim one bolt on pump, it chewed up one side of the belt before I noticed it being bad. Now perfect.
Looks like I replaced all the pulleys but that one and it does move just a little but I can't seem to find the right part. Any chance you have a number? Everywhere I look is wrong!

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Actually, I think this one is right
Gates 38001

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Also, I don't think there was anything wrong with my PS pump but I replaced it anyway. And it came with a washer that I see now I was missing so even better.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, so no doubt at this point that it’s the ps pulley. What the heck? It’s stock!

It can’t go on backwards, I didn’t do anything to it originally either. Now a new pump.

EVERYTHING is new.

Attachments

• IMG_6670.jpeg
    IMG_6670.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 24

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used a tool to install or remove a PS pump pulley one way or the other to make it line up. It might be two kits one on, one off. autozone might have it for free

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Actually, I used a level against the crank pulley. Alternator lines up perfectly and the ENTIRE BRACKET of the AC Compressor and PS pump are both too far back.its just coming off the os pump first. I’ll need to put some washers behind the darn bracket!

I can’t be the only one. This is just weird.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Water pump pulley lines up with???
I think it runs off back of belt, but it should be in line with others.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Everything lines up EXCEPT for what is on the one bracket that holds the PS Pump and AC Compressor. Those two line up together and are both too far inwards and makes the belt come off ahead of the engine.