• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering belt squeak

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Hey guys.

Sorry real noobie question here.
When on full lock the power steering belt on my bronco squeaks like crazy. How do I prevent that ?

Does it need a new belt that’s tighter ?

Thanks

Guy

Torkman66

Contributor
Agree with above. Normal at full stop. However, make sure your belt is tight enough. It can be worse if the best is a bit loose.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 make sure it is the belt and not the pump squeaking.
Make sure your belt is tight.
If you figure out it is the belt, might be time to put a new/quality Gates brand on.
And while you are doing that, make sure the p/s pump pully groove is clean. Like spray parts/brake cleaner on it and the corresponding pully that also runs with it.
Squeal still there, then rub some bar soap on the belt (old trick) to help it stop slipping or put some spray belt dressing on it. NO not Ranch or Thousand Island.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Te...LoB8iNeMVgsuCztuVO8wq1iShzUYTtcoaAkBfEALw_wcB

OP
OP
E

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Thanks everyone, It only does it when on full lock and it's definitely the belt slipping on the power steering pulley. A friend also mentioned Belt Dressing too so I may start with that and then if it persists try changing out the belt and using some salad dressing :).

I will report back later.

Guy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, answer is to stop holding it at full lock.
Almost all the older vehicles did that to a certain extent. Some better than others, some worse.
We were always told in both writing, and by the older members of the family, to stop just short of full lock, or pulling it back off quickly once you get there.
It was just another part of our driver training. 😉😁

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You could just get bigger tires so you can't get to full lock.

:cool:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Yeah, answer is to stop holding it at full lock.
Almost all the older vehicles did that to a certain extent. Some better than others, some worse.
We were always told in both writing, and by the older members of the family, to stop just short of full lock, or pulling it back off quickly once you get there.
It was just another part of our driver training
Yup.........That's the answer. Most, if not all, did it back in the day. I remember the noises at the supermarket parking lots as the Moms were all trying to guide their station wagons into the parking spaces!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! More fun, cooler looking, and no more squealing belt!
A win for sure.

Now, to get rid of that pesky growly noise when the bigger tires rub on the arms… 😉😁😱

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don’t forget to check the date codes on any used tires you look at.
Be a real shame to pay out some bucks only to find out that no tire store will mount them for you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most manufacturers say that seven years is the drop dead date on a tire.
So always be careful of one that’s over six years, just in case you’re local tire store has their own strategy.
Frankly, though, if the tires are that old, I wouldn’t normally be buying them anyway. Or if so, I’d ask for a really, really good deal!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forget the exact coding, but you can look online for “DOT tire codes“ or something along those lines.
A chart will come up, showing you how to interpret the dates. And, by that same token, if there is no visible DOT number following those guidelines, the tire is more than 20 years old and, they should be giving them away.

Believe it or not, tires do age out. I think a lot of us have fallen into that pit, given how long some of our truck projects take.
Sucks to have $1000 or more of brand new tires sitting on your project in the garage, and having them turn older than your kids!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For my personal side of that story, I have a set of thornbirds on my 71 that probably have less than 3000 miles on them. But they are literally falling apart underneath my bronco. Literally!
The 25 year-old Dunlop mud rovers on the other hand, look practically brand new. Only 10k-ish miles, but I probably wouldn’t trust them on highway trips.
I think I’d trust them around town for awhile, but nothing at freeway speeds in the summer.

OP
OP
E

editgod@hotmail

Loc.
LA
Most manufacturers say that seven years is the drop dead date on a tire.
So always be careful of one that’s over six years, just in case you’re local tire store has their own strategy.
Frankly, though, if the tires are that old, I wouldn’t normally be buying them anyway. Or if so, I’d ask for a really, really good deal!
I was probably going to take it to a mom and pop tire place so hopefully it won't be a problem, but yes I def won't be buying anything old and cracked !