• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB Gas Tank Install Question...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Hey all, I'm about to start on installing the BCB 24 gallon gas tank. I see in the instructions that is it suggested that the mounting tabs be tack welded to the frame. I take it this is not "required" though. So my question is how secure will the gas tank be if I just use the mounting hardware that the tank came with?

GDTorx

Loc.
Bluemont
Not welded

Have what looks to be the same tank (assuming you meant the 23 gallon) from WH and have ran it about a month without issues. Don't wheel but if I did I would have them tacked.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I dont have the instructions in front of me, but I read them as tack weld the tank to the mounting brackets. When you do that, you are not actually welding on the side panels of the tank.....you are welding the uni-strut to the brackets. The uni-strut is already welded to the tank during manufacture. I tacked mine in place just to be safe.....a dropped tank on the road or dirt is a bigger worry than a quick zip on the tank bracketry in my opinion.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I dont have the instructions in front of me, but I read them as tack weld the tank to the mounting brackets. When you do that, you are not actually welding on the side panels of the tank.....you are welding the uni-strut to the brackets. The uni-strut is already welded to the tank during manufacture. I tacked mine in place just to be safe.....a dropped tank on the road or dirt is a bigger worry than a quick zip on the tank bracketry in my opinion.

Yes. And agreed.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I don't have mine tacked and have hit rocks with it with no problems. I do have the skid plate on it to prevent punctures. The main thing is to make sure you get the UNI-Struts in correctly. I would also make sure that your fuel gauge reads correctly as I had to weld a stud to the access panel and run a wire down to the crossmember in the tank (where the pump grounds at) as I couldn't get my gauge to read correctly. (Even ran a wire directly to battery to ground it out and same result) The access panel on mine just didn't want to ground for some reason until I did the welded nut and wire to the crossmember in the tank.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Have what looks to be the same tank (assuming you meant the 23 gallon) from WH and have ran it about a month without issues. Don't wheel but if I did I would have them tacked.

It is the BC Broncos tank. I don't do any wheeling atm, just daily driver. So I will attempt it this week with just the installation kit provided. And if I ever do decide to start wheeling it, I will get them tack welded in place.

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Good point on the fuel tank sending unit. Do your best to set the unit up to read full scale. Much easier to setup the first time.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The unistrut is rated at 2300 lbs each, the tank has 4. I still have the first tank in my EB about 12 yrs?. The skid plate is a little banged up but the bolts have never come loose and are not welded. I have never had anyone call about the tank getting loose but I would really hate to hear that a tank fell out hence the weld the tabs to the tank. Can't hurt and a angle grinder will remove it in a min.
We always check the sender after installing full and empty but it only takes a min to check it before you install it. Be sure you have a good grd. The gauge should read ~70 ohms when up right and ~10 when upside down.Now BCB and WH is the only aftermarket tank with a non linier sender.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the info folks. I feel better now about installing it without welding it right away.