• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

battery hold down options

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
My battery has been corroding frequently, and my friend (who is an electrical engineer) told me that the metal strap running across the top of my battery isn't helping matters. He also told me to check the voltage regulator output and get a side terminal battery next time.

For now I'm looking for a better battery hold down. JBG has a rubber or plastic one for a 78 bronco, but all I can find are steel ones for a 72. Any body have a good find for a hold down?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Does your friend wear a tin foil hat so that that big brother can't read his thoughts too?;D :-X

A metal strap is fine.

I have one of the cheap hold downs from the local auto parts store, with the stock tray, and it's been there 10 years.

Just don't let it touch the terminals, and you'll be fine.

For a stock battery, a stock type of holder is fine. If you run an Optima, there are lots of neat ones available, in steel, poly and resin.

Clean your battery terminals, pour some Coca Cola on them to eat most of the corrosion, wire brush the rest off. Replace the crappy lead terminal with a quality brass one, and smear liberal amounts of dielectric grease on everything making contact. This should be a maintenance issue. Look at it every few months (during oil change or whatever) and take care of it. Poor connection and conductivity leads to more corrosion (oxidation) than anything.

Most conventional side terminal batteries have a thin strap attaching the terminal to the cell, with time they tend to wiggle loose and cause poor connection. I'm not sure how the internals of the Optima or the Deka batteries are, but this is the case with Exide, Interstate and Everstart I know for sure.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Those giant nylon tie straps that A/C duct guys use works good...

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
Those giant nylon tie straps that A/C duct guys use works good...

What is the sprinklerfitters fascination with those duct straps?????:? ?:? ?:?

I see them using them for everything around here, holding the ladder to the ladder rack, holding up their pipe until they get the hanger beam clamp cinched down, tying their smarty pants helper to the ladder rack of the truck; ya know, stuff like that. ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gummi Bear said:
Does your friend wear a tin foil hat so that that big brother can't read his thoughts too?;D :-X

A metal strap is fine.

Most conventional side terminal batteries have a thin strap attaching the terminal to the cell, with time they tend to wiggle loose and cause poor connection. I'm not sure how the internals of the Optima or the Deka batteries are, but this is the case with Exide, Interstate and Everstart I know for sure.

Yep, same. On the Optima at least. Optima, just like many others, doesn't recommend hooking a winch to a side terminal for that reason. They're for short-term starting only and not long, drawn out high-amp pulls. Don't know about the coming loose bit, but a melt-down is not on my recommended list of things to experience either.
For that reason they may not even be the best thing to use if you're always finding yourself using the starter to pull yourself over obstacles. Then again, those probably don't last long enough normally to do any harm. But a long winch pull might.

Now, for his friends mental capacity and car-lore rating, I'd say he's got some points. Side terminal batteries tend to have fewer corrosion issues, in the vehicles that I've experienced at least. Probably due to them being farther away from the source of leaking acid and vapors?
And a regulator that's causing the battery to overcharge can certainly cause a acid/corrosion issue with most normal batteries. Ask me how I know...
AND, at least in theory (remember, he said electrical engineer), a metal strap (bare only though?) in the area between the terminals could cause some sort of corrosive reaction of it's own perhaps? And for sure it basically just deteriorates all to hell when exposed to the battery acid.
Luckly most metal clamps are coated with something, but they're still metal and if anyone remembers the original Bronco one (metal covered with vinyl) when they first got their rig, they'll remember a nice clean vinyl clamp-shaped device with no actual steel left inside it. Just a powder of corroded metal memory! That's why one of my first projects back when was to go down to Ford and spec out a newer model plastic/resin/poly hold-down from a later Ford product.
Still working after all these years.

But my next one is going to be a modern bottom-clamp design with one bolt and no straps. Too clean to pass up.

Paul

OP
OP
griff

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
Thanks for the replys. I plan on taking the battery hold down out of a friends superduty and putting it in when I get a new battery.

Today I cleaned everything up and my friend broke a piece of lexan into a U shape for my hold down. Should not corrode, conduct or break.

We'll see how long it stays clean.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Gummi Bear said:
What is the sprinklerfitters fascination with those duct straps?????:? ?:? ?:?

I see them using them for everything around here, holding the ladder to the ladder rack, holding up their pipe until they get the hanger beam clamp cinched down, tying their smarty pants helper to the ladder rack of the truck; ya know, stuff like that. ;D
GB, You must be an electrician%) , we bang heads with them all the time on a jobsite..;D

Funny thing is the A/C duct guys never asks where all their straps went......