• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baby Bronco to be named Maverick????

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just heard this as confirmed. Does that not seem like a kiss if death, or are they assuming few remember the original Maverick????

Hank

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Just heard this as confirmed. Does that not seem like a kiss if death, or are they assuming few remember the original Maverick????

Hank

My pop's had a Maverick. We spent every other weekend looking for parts for it at the local "pick'n pull". Rather, because of my age, I wasn't allowed into the yard of the "pick'n pull". So, I'd have to wait by the entrance near the food truck...lol.

Lawndart

Loc.
They should of just called it Pinto. At least that is horse related. Bad call on thier part.
wat?
At least this one is a 2-door!
49456638841_cc25c64ee8_b.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Grabber Maverick man! talk about sleeper.

No one expects the Maverick. I can see why they would consider it, top gun dos is coming out.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I kinda like the Maverick name. I bought a six cylinder Maverick back in college when that was all they had and dropped in a hotted-up 289 with about 320 hp and a top loader. Lots 'o' fun and noise! Couldn't keep head gaskets in it with 13:1 pistons. Sure had a rumble..... Imo, a much better move than calling a battery-operated buzzbox a Mustang.

suckerpunched

a buddy of mine in high school had a maverick with a 4 spd. it looked like crap. 4 different kinds of wheels and rust top where the vinyl came off. It would smoke the hell out of the tires for like 100 yds.

Nothing Special

They should of just called it Pinto. At least that is horse related. Bad call on thier part.

"Maverick" is horse related too. It means an unbranded, wild young horse. The currently more common use of the word as sort of an unattached loose cannon came from the horse word.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Don’t forget the Maverick outsold the Mustang 3:1 for several years .

The mustang guys hate that fact but it’s true

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm guessing Maverick was an early suggestion for the name and used when they printed the parts books. Like Scout and a few other names that Ford registered and considered. Bronco6g is not Ford. Don't believe it.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm guessing Maverick was an early suggestion for the name and used when they printed the parts books. Like Scout and a few other names that Ford registered and considered. Bronco6g is not Ford. Don't believe it.

as i read around on this, this seems to be more the case. So much hype and so much contradicting information floating around.

I'm going to crawl back into my hole and ride both of these launches out in quiet observation :)

Hank

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I’m way more concerned about rebadging an escape as the baby bronco

Which is what I’ve been predicting all along:

that the new bronco will be a 4 cylinder , front wheel drive ,unibody minivan cute Ute with swinging doors instead of sliding doors

Just water down the name to where it doesn’t mean anything

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

X2. Bronco Club of America (official Ford entity) confirmed this morning that this rumor is not true.

Todd Z.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I’m way more concerned about rebadging an escape as the baby bronco

Which is what I’ve been predicting all along:

that the new bronco will be a 4 cylinder , front wheel drive ,unibody minivan cute Ute with swinging doors instead of sliding doors

Just water down the name to where it doesn’t mean anything

Ford is going "all in" on Bronco. It will be a Brand, not a single model. There will be multiple models and the baby Bronco will compete with other life-style vehicles like Honda and Subaru. Just like Jeep is a brand with different models to compete for different markets. I don't disagree that this strategy somewhat waters-down the Bronco name from a historical viewpoint especially for early Bronco enthusiasts like all of us here on CB. But we need to keep the bigger picture in mind before we we get too critical of Ford.

Last edited: