• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baby seat anchors for the Bronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I'm finally putting a back seat back into the Bronco (Jeep TJ back seat) and want to bolt some car seat anchors to the floor for my 2 sons under 2. I'm thinking about going to the JY and pull some or use something a little overkill like these. Anyone try doing something similar?

16459c513619f98fe15a2fc50035dd87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Audifan

Contributor
We have been looking into similar options.

One thing to consider about your rear seat, is headrests, or higher backed seats, not an issue when using a reverse facing seat, but once the kids are in front facing boosters, the headrests/high backs provide much better support for the car seats.

The problem with the D-ring or similar option is that even with grade 8 hardware, you are still only bolting it to thin sheetmetal. So to do it right would need some type of welded reinforcement underneath that can be bolted through.

My current plan is to use a newer OEM seat...either 2 buckets or a 3rd row bench that already are built with "LATCH Lower Anchors" (the little metal loops between seat and backrest you clip car seats into on modern cars), Then properly bolt and secure the seat down...maybe with a little overkill reinforcement.

Of course with the oem seat, I'll have to have it re-upholstered to match other seats, but thats not a big deal.

Also, make sure you have top notch seatbelts from a reputable manufacturer. Not a place I'd choose to go with surplus or JunkYard pulls.

In my mind, this is the one area that no expense should be spared. Especially considering EB's are missing practically every other standard safety feature of a modern vehicle.

Last edited:

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I would like to see that come with a lower plate a bit bigger than upper base with that at minimum.

dbasile

Just use the seat belt option for the car seat. I did that for the last few years with my kids worked great, they both loved riding in the bronco. Now I have to figure out shoulder belts because they are both in boosters.

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Lap belts are the other option for sure. I just think having the 3 point baby seat latches are a little more secure. Right now I've got simpson lap belts to match the 4 point simpsons I've got up front but the latch isn't compatible with car seats. So maybe I'll run some regular lap belts for them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What about hardware from one of the fall restraint manufacturers?
That stuff is all load and impact rated.

We used our Bronco for family transportation for our three sons. We used it to bring two of them home from the hospital when they were born.
Now, we have grandkids. They won't be riding in the back. In fact, they might not ride in it at all. They're just too precious.
I gave the seat to Tito.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your depriving them grand kids if you don't let them enjoy the bronco to.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Your depriving them grand kids if you don't let them enjoy the bronco to.

I got tired of unbolting and reinstalling that crappy seat.
We were using the Bronco more for going to the feed store than carrying passengers anyway.
When I installed the new vinyl floor, I patched the mounting holes.
Now it's a two seater.;)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
For my 2 grandkids I made a bracket that bolts under the rear seat (using all 4 bolts) and has the rings welded to it. It's made of 1" by 1/8" angle iron and 1" square tube. Works well and it got the safety conscious daughter-in-law's approval (!). The nice thing is that when I don't have the rear seat installed I bolt in a storage box there. Then I use the rings as bungee cord anchors to hold things in the bed. Not a good pic but you can see the rings between the fuel cell and the storage box (as shown in the pic). This is in my crawler but this bracket will also fit in a stock Bronco under the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 122

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We were using the Bronco more for going to the feed store than carrying passengers anyway.
Now it's a two seater.;)

So What your saying is you just take the oldest one to load and unload the feed. That works to , Quality time;D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Factory seat belt location have been designed by the factory to carry the load in an accident so if the body is in good shape what you attach to them they should be fine.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Now it's a two seater.;)

Removed my back seat as well.