• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ax15 painless wiring neutral safety switch

Concrete

Hello, I’m starting to wire my 73. I’m using painless wiring harness and a ax15 5speed. I want to have to push the clutch in to start it. i See there are two black wires on the trans. What wires run to those wires on the trans? Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two wires on a manual transmission is usually for the back up lamps.
You can test that theory by using an ohm meter, and seeing if the two terminals are disconnected from each other when the transmission is in neutral, or any other gear, and are connected to each other when in reverse.

You don’t want a neutral safety switch connected to the manual transmission anyway, because that has nothing to do with starting or stopping in gear with the clutch.
You want to create your own by installing an on/off switch on the clutch pedal.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
+1 on that.

You want a clutch pedal switch or a brake light switch mounted on your clutch pedal arm. Anything that switches on, or two contacts together, when you press your clutch pedal in.

Don't remember which way a clutch safety switch wires though so make sure it contacts closed vs contacts open if that makes sense. Some switches are on (connected) normally and then open (disconnect) when you depress a pedal, and others are the opposite.

I did just use the painless brake light switch for my brakes cause I needed both functions (2 switches in 1) and works flawlessly.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Also, just cause you have wires from your trans that are likely for reverse lights, doesn’t mean you have to use those. If built into whatever shifter you use, those might be easier.

I had planned on using the reverse and park/neutral out of my AOD, but since my connector didn’t match, I just used the one in my shifter. Less wire and easier anyway.