• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shop to do an AX15 swap?

Benratt

I have a 75 with a NP435 that I want to swap to an AX15. Does anyone know of a shop in SC, NC, GA, TN area that has done this and that you would recommend? I know it's not terribly complicated especially if you get a complete kit from WH or TBP but it's a time issue for me right now. Thanks

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I have a 75 with a NP435 that I want to swap to an AX15. Does anyone know of a shop in SC, NC, GA, TN area that has done this and that you would recommend? I know it's not terribly complicated especially if you get a complete kit from WH or TBP but it's a time issue for me right now. Thanks
Brandys Broncos, @surfer-b on here, is in Chattanooga, TN has done quite a few ax-15s and is wrapping up mine as we speak.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
many thanks
Keep in mind that you are not simply installing an AX-15. You are un-installing an NP435. The NP435 has a forward mounted shifter location that requires a significant floor pan modification. The AX-15 pushes the shifter rearward and does not use the NP435 hole. So somebody has to fix the old hole in the floorboard.

Usually the technician that is skilled in installation and mechanics is not the same artisan that you want butt-welding your floor pan back together.

I'm not saying that you don't want a good mechanic...but I would take a mediocre mechanic in place of a skilled fabricator hands down for an AX-15 swap.

I just did a NV3550 swap for a NV4500 in an Early Bronco. Far and away, the most complicated part of the swap was figuring out the shifters, the shift boots, and the interior. The vendors have done a really good job on the mechanical side of the swap. So the bell adapter, the crossmember, and the transfer case adapter are all very well engineered and basically bolt in.

The shifters, the floors, and the boots are an epic time suck. For me, the greatest compliment is when someone sees the job, and doesn't even notice that it's not stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
B

Benratt

thank you, yes the NP435 shifter location is pretty wacky and will require some floor pan fab.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
thank you, yes the NP435 shifter location is pretty wacky and will require some floor pan fab.
Also, many people will tell you that a body lift is required or suggested for the ax15 but it is doable without one if you want. SurferB also had to patch my tunnel where a hurst 3 speed was installed previously. I should be able to pick my bronco up in the next week or two and will share pics and details about it on my New to me 1970 thread.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Also, many people will tell you that a body lift is required or suggested for the ax15 but it is doable without one if you want. SurferB also had to patch my tunnel where a hurst 3 speed was installed previously. I should be able to pick my bronco up in the next week or two and will share pics and details about it on my New to me 1970 thread.
Please do! And if you can possibly post any information (part numbers, etc) about the shift boots, and shift levers, that would be great!

I found that the NV3550 shifter stick from the Native 99-02 Jeep TJ was oddly placed, and did not have a good reach to the driver's seat. It also touched the t-case lever. I ended up cutting it off it's base, and moving it to the front, and VERY slowly welding / cooling it back with an additional 10 degrees toward the rear. The original transfer case shifter was a T-shift, but there was no way that the factory Bronco indicator dial was going to fit. I debated a twin stick shifter for awhile, but just went with an early 66 style stick, and a J-shift boot and plate.

100% agree that there's no need for the 2 inch body lift. And also very happy to see that the floor pan reinforcement did not need to be cut. Even with a 2 inch BL, the NV shift tower touches the floor pan. So I had to make an access hole that was big enough to get to the tower bolts...which made the hole very close to the t-case hole.

Lastly, interested to know how the tunnel patch was performed. I have seen a number of 3 speed floor shift removals with a piece of glavanized rain gutter flattened and screwed to the floor, and gooped up with sealant. I have also seen butt welded and seamless finished 14 ga. sheet metal replacement panels. I'm curious to see how yours was done.